renaming MOV files

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

renaming MOV files

Postby preacher » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:48 pm

Hello,

I recently bought a new computer and downloaded a new copy of cam2pc. On the old computer I was able to transfer .mov files and cam2pc (version 3.0.1) would rename them with the date. With the new computer (and new copy of cam2pc 3.1.2) .mov files are not renamed. If I turn around and use the old pc it downloads them and renames them just fine with the same .mov files. I believe that I have cam2pc configured the same on both computers. Everything else seems to be the same otherwise.

Did I do something wrong?

Was the ability to rename .mov files lost in the version change?

Exactly where does cam2pc get the date information anyway? Mov files don't have exif tags, do they?

I have a Minolta Dimage 7i.
preacher

Postby nabocorp » Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:36 pm

Hello,

yes this was dropped because of the possibility to rename pictures based on EXIF tags and movies do not have EXIF tags. But the next version will rename movies if you do not use EXIF tags in your mask. If you do then movies won't be renamed.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

that helps

Postby preacher » Thu Sep 18, 2003 6:22 am

I think I understand you as saying that the ability to rename MOV files was lost in the version change between 3.0.1 and 3.1.2.

Thanks, that is helpful to know. I was really running myself ragged comparing settings and such. I don't really understand how cam2pc 3.0 was able to rename the MOV files without exif data, but hey, at least now I know. Was it based on the creation date and time inside the camera? Why would the ability to rename movies not be a good feature? DIid it conflict with something? Maybe I will see if I have a copy of the old 3.0.1 and install it on the new machine.

BTW, let me tell you what a great piece of software cam2pc is. I think it may be the single best piece of software on my computer. If I didn't have it, I would have to become a software engineer so I could create it. It is that great. Thank you.
preacher

Postby nabocorp » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:04 pm

Hello,

yes it was taken from the file date inside the camera. But as I tell you renaming .MOV will be back in next version as long as you do not use EXIF tags (like exposure, focal...) to rename the pictures.

Regards,
nabocorp

PS: thank you VERY much for nice words!
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby ladyhihi » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:31 pm

yes this was dropped because of the possibility to rename pictures based on EXIF tags and movies do not have EXIF tags. But the next version will rename movies if you do not use EXIF tags in your mask. If you do then movies won't be renamed.

Return to cam2pc