Cam2PC still alive?

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Postby Dianne » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:26 pm

aeon wrote:In the course of my research I also realised, yet again, that no one piece of software does everything; so I also use another tool for setting IPTC tags.

Would you mind telling us which tool you decided to use for setting IPTC tags. I've been evaluating many image management tools and also find that "one size does not fit all". But, cam2pc surely fits a lot and I'd really hate to see it slide off into oblivion.
Dianne

Postby cmagic » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:04 pm

Hi Dianne,

I don\'t know what tools aeon is using but I found Xnview (free version) very good at setting IPTC fields in a way very similar to what cam2pc does. There is also a very good program that does almost evrything that cam2pc does (IPTC included) plus a bunch of other useful stuff: cataloging, framing, etc.: Idimager, a very good program indeed.

It\'s a shame cam2pc developement is apparently stopped. It has one of the best camera downloader module I know and is quite fast.

Hope it helps,

Chris
cmagic

Postby aeon » Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:49 am

I use Imatch for IPTC as it has a scripting environment that means I can do batch processing. For the complex stuff its got somthing of a steep learning curve depending on existing skills. Cam2PC is much easier for day to day stuff.
aeon

Postby lu » Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:21 am

hey nabocorp, I can only support what already had been sad: cam2pc is a great piece of software, but also needs bugfixes and improvements (categorize and rate via iptc, imho). don\'t let it fall into oblivion! open source would be great (maybe we could donate a couple of bucks to reward your previous work!). would be pleased to hear from you! .lu
lu

Postby Bruno » Mon May 01, 2006 11:02 am

Jem wrote:Bruno, to save you any regrets...cam2pc is, in my fairly extensive experience, best in class. The issue at the moment is ensuring that nabocorp sells / gives up the rights to the product if he cannot maintain it. No software product of this class should be allowed to fall through a crack in the sidewalk, but then neither should it be picked up and ruined by a large software company who is only concerned about profit.

Let\'s hope the right solution is found...

Regards,
Jeremy

So a long time ago (half a year)I asked what is happening with that great Software-nothing like it seems.
Since half a year no Bugfixes no updates.Thats not ok.
If Nacorb is still selling the Softwar-like it seems,the software ist to be supported-my meaning,and some of my friends think of this in the same way.
Two possibilities-take off the shareware status and make it complete free or develop it further on.
So i\'m a little bit angry,abot this,cause Cam2Pc ist for me the best transfer prog that exists,but not in this kind of supporting!
perhaps nacorb can tell something what he decides to do with cam2pc-what i think is not so much work,that it can\'t be done in 2 minutes!
And it would giv the users more satisfaction to the software.
Cause i\'ve paid money for it, i had to work for!

Sorry for my bad english-i come from Germany and schooltime is a long time ago!
Last edited by Bruno on Mon May 01, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno

Postby lu » Mon May 01, 2006 12:00 pm

hey nabocorp and all,

I can totally support the wish to have your good piece of software developed by you.

Alternativly, I would not only suggest to make it freeware but OpenSource, so it won\'t be antiqued in some month!

Hope you are all right? It's so long ago... give us a sign of life. laissez cam2pc continuer ...
lu
lu

Postby cmagic » Tue May 02, 2006 6:55 pm

Hi Folks,

I am also really dissapointed by nabocorp lack of responsiveness regarding the future of cam2pc. Last post from nab was october 2005 and last update for cam2pc was march 2005, more than a year ago !! (well Imatch took longer I think ! :) )

Since then I must admit that I have looked for an alternative to cam2pc nice downloader. I found idimager which does even more than what cam2pc does and I am gradually moving away from cam2pc. But still, it's a real shame to let such a good piece of software fading away without any support or consideration to the users.

Come on nabocorp, give us a sign !

Allez nabocorp, un petit signe afin que l\'on sache si cam2pc à un quelconque avenir !

C.
cmagic

idImager

Postby NACarter » Thu May 04, 2006 9:32 am

I've just downloaded the trial version of idImager (from http://www.idimager.com/English/Product ... /index.htm) and been having a look at it. It does seem to be the closest piece of software to cam2pc that I've seen, but it is significantly slower at transferring images. For example I transferred 7 images from one folder to another, and cam2pc took 2s, whereas idImager took 20s! I had set up idImager to do the same as cam2pc - create the same directory structure and rename the files in the same way, and add my name as the Artist.

I'd be interested in anyone else's view of idImager.

Nick
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Thu May 04, 2006 1:07 pm

I have discovered that idImager's apparent slow download speed is due to the way I was adding XMP and IPTC information to each image (trying to replicate Cam2PC's modification of the EXIF Artist field). Without this information the download using idImager is much the same as Cam2PC.

If you wish to see more details please see my forum conversation with idImager's developer: http://www.idfoxx.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1235

Nick
NACarter

More expensive

Postby Pieter » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:36 pm

I checked idImager. It looked like having nice features. But it's also more expensive then what I ever payed for cam2pc. And i still find cam2pc very efficient. Probably one day, i won't be able to resist to the new products, so thanks for the tip,

Pieter
Pieter

Postby cmagic » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:00 am

Hi Pieter,

Yep Idimager is more expensive than c2pc but it\'s got a lot more features and it\'s very alive with amazing support from the author ! I\'m very happy with IDI !

On the free image viewer side you can also check:
xnview : http://perso.orange.fr/pierre.g/xnview/frhome.html
A very efficient and fast viewer with most of the features of cam2pc plus many more image formats, minus convenient camera downloader and web pages creation.
faststone : http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm
Another very good free viewer but without IPTC support.

Althought it\'s true that c2pc can still be a very useful tool as it is now, it\'s getting frustrating to see it dying and to see the forum infested with spam. I tried to PM / mail the c2pc author several times in the past months without any success.... Sad !

Christian
cmagic

if sell-donate... do it right..

Postby cromo » Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:44 pm

I have seen many software authors sold their gold pieces to some other people that just let it die.
Examples: ProBoard, HomeSite

Please, find a solution :)
cromo

Postby karhu » Thu Dec 28, 2006 4:50 pm

Well, I think open source would be the best solution, maybe some one can than compile a version for linux.

Bjoern
karhu

Previous

Return to cam2pc