cam2pc "roadmap"

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

New features

Postby smits » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:14 pm

Although CAM2PC is a very good product I have to admid that I also use a number of other pieces of software too, to get the job done.

my wish list:
- improved renaming functions (like ULEAD PEX)
- improve enhance functions and include "white balance" button like in PICASA
- provide a easy to use function to add different tags to a picture for easy search and grouping.
smits

Some ideas for new version ...

Postby dt1961 » Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:28 pm

Hello,

i think sometimes it makes sense to watch others in developing. I looked at FastStone Image Viewer 2.20 beta. The thumbnail viewer isn't interesting but if you show a picture in full screen and point with the mouse to a border of your screen you will see what i mean ...

Try it! http://www.faststone.org

Best regards
dt1961
dt1961

Dead End?

Postby NACarter » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:15 am

It looks like this roadmap has reached a dead end. I'm disappointed, but have to admit that it appears that Nabocorp is not going to return to this project in the forseeable future. We've also had no response regarding making the source code available. I guess it makes Picasa look more inviting after all!
NACarter

Postby martin10018 » Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:57 am

Sorry, but Picasa is no useable alternative. But the lack of support is the same...
martin10018

Postby NACarter » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:37 pm

That's a pity. Is there a cheap/free alternative? Although I ask this question, I'm still happy to continue Cam2PC, and will be doing so.
NACarter

Postby Jan Paul » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:22 pm

I have been looking to a lot of alternatives, some freeware, some shareware.

The download routine for digital camera's in Cam2PC is the best I've ever used and I have not found a program until now to come even close to that.

AcdSee is the best thumbnailer, but has no rename routine with the extend of Cam2PC.

The only program I have found to remotely rival the download en thumbnail functionality is Picture Information Extractor from http://www.picmeta.com.
It does no automatic directory creation (as far as I know) and is just a downloader/thumbnailer.

The things I miss the most in other programs are:
- Flexible Download/naming routine;
- User Exif fields filling on donwloading;
- Comments etc in Exif fields.
And for those things I was very happy when I stumbled on Cam2PC.

I hope Nabocorp will kick back into action...
Jan Paul

Postby NACarter » Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:53 pm

Thanks Jan Paul for your research. I too hope Nabocorp returns...
NACarter

Postby MOIK » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:32 pm

I also wait just for the support of Pentax *ist Ds Raw files before I buy the full version of CAM2PC.
This program is still the best I found and I hope also that this programm will go on!
MOIK

Postby flim » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:06 pm

I am using the freeware verion, but I would like to switch to shareware version if cam2pc can view photo in .zip file.
flim

Postby solenostomus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:32 pm

martin10018 wrote:But please: No custom interface - only standard Windows gui elements. If a user wants to change his gui elements he should use WindowBlinds or MSStyles...

YESSS! Somebody said it. All those skinnable apps confuse me! Faststone image viewer for instance wouldn\'t be all that bad, but you need to choose a skin to get it back back to what XP wants your windows to look like.
I prefer cam2pc and I hope it keeps using the standard GUI.

Thanks
Fred
solenostomus

Postby solenostomus » Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:36 pm

Jan Paul wrote:-snip-
The things I miss the most in other programs are:
- Flexible Download/naming routine;
- User Exif fields filling on donwloading;
- Comments etc in Exif fields.
-snip-

EXIF data should be considered read-only once it has been created in-camera. What you want is IPTC support. IPTC has fields which are designed to be changed.
The pros working for agencies use IPTC fields for categories, caption, headlines, copyright info and a lot else.

A user-configurable EXIF viewer and IPTC viewer/editor should form part of any advanced image viewer/thumbnailer/organizer software.

Fred
solenostomus

Re: Enhance option@

Postby holger » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:55 pm

mathijs wrote:It would be great to have the ability to rotate pictures, so if the horizon is not 100% horizontal, that it can be adjusted. This is what I´m missing most wihtin the Enhance functionality.

I vote for this as well!
holger

IPTC Data

Postby sabarrett » Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:38 am

In this previous postings, you had listed IPTC support. This is growing of importance to me, as our library of images is growing and growing. Just my two cents... What I would like in this is to use data fields that have a predefined set of values to use as base keywords. As always, if the data is not reliable, it is tough to find. Thus, when filling in keyword/subject data, you would be able to select from pull down/checkbox/radio buttons (whatever is easiest to use) the main subjects for the pictures selected. Also you could add others as necessary by the picture specifics. i.e. predefines ones could be vacation, family, holiday, christmas, kids, birthday, and so on. This ensure that the subject/keyword data would be consistent for searches and such.

Any other thoughts on this?
sabarrett

Previous

Return to cam2pc