Copy & Paste function

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Copy & Paste function

Postby Pedro917 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:46 pm

Hello,

I\'ve just registered to cam2pc as I believe it\'s great software. I have a problem though and I hope to find a solution here.

I use Outlook express and get a lot of mails with pictures. I copy my mails to Word files in order to follow up all my correspondence. I also copy and paste the pictures I received into these Word files.
However, with cam2pc, there's no "copy" in the menu-window that appears when I right-click on the picture and so I always have to download the picture into a folder and then insert it through Word which is timeconsuming and irritating. Therefore, I don't use cam2pc as the default software to view my pictures which is a shame.
I would appreciate any comment on this subject.

Luc Ghys
Belgium
Pedro917

Postby Jan Paul » Sat Aug 06, 2005 6:49 am

Hi Luc,

Indeed there is no copy option in the right-click menu :? .
Use Ctrl-C or use the copy option from the Edit menu.
Another option is that you can customize the button bar and add the copy buttons on there (just right-click on an empty space on the the button bar and choose Customize).
You can also see if the copy was done ok by the copy indicator overlay on the thumbnail.

I use for the most time the following solution:
Use Crtl-drag and drop (press Crrl when selecing the image, keep the Ctrl pressed en move the picture to another folder, desktop, program etc). That way the image is copied to there.

If you want to add pictures, just do a dag-and-drop action. That way images are getting into the current directory.
The drag-and-drop works like any folder in windows. When the folder you are copy the picure in is on the same drive, the picture(s) get moved, otherwise they get copied.

When I want to add a lot of picures at once, I use the Get Pictures function
and use a directory as was it a flash memory card. That way all pictures getting renamed, sorted and put in the correct folders in my picure albums folders.

More about copying/moving/uploading pictures you can find in the help within Cam2PC.

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby Pedro917 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 9:28 am

Thanks for your prompt reply Jan Paul but that's not what I meant.
I'll try to explain more detailed:

Cam2pc is the default software for viewing my pictures.
I receive a mail with some pictures attached (Outlook Express). When I double click on the mail in my inbox, it opens up in a new window. There I can see the text and the opened pictures (Outlook Express opens the attached pictures automatically). Now I want to copy the picture to an opened word file where I keep all my correspondence related to the mailsender.

1. When I right click on one of the opened pictures, I have a copy option in the small menu that appears. However, copy the picture and then paste it in Word doesn't work but why it doesn't work, I really don't know.

2. When I open the picture, double clicking on the attachment (from the attachment toolbar), the picture opens full screen through cam2pc but there are no toolbars at all where I could use the copy function from the edit menu and right-clicking on the picture shows me the same menu without the copy function and so I'm back to square 1.

So I just set my computer to the basic set-up, I believe Outlook Express uses the Microsoft XP picture viewer, and then it works well.
Somehow I believe there must be another way to be able to copy the picture from Outlook straight into a Word file with cam2pc as default but that's what I'm trying to find out.

Cheers,

Luc
Pedro917

Postby Jan Paul » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:28 pm

Hi Luc,

You could try Save-as of Save Attatchment function from within Outlook and then save the image directly into the wanted directory.

I use another default viewer: IrfanView and do not have Cam2PC as my default image handler. That way when I open or copy-paste an image it goes directly to IfranView and then save-as to the Pictures directory which is openend on starting Cam2PC.

Somehow I believe there must be another way to be able to copy the picture from Outlook straight into a Word file with cam2pc as default but that\'s what I\'m trying to find out.

This thing I do not understand, do you want to copy-past from Outlook directly into Word, or do you copy/past from Outlook into Word and then do as save-as?

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby Pedro917 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 7:01 pm

Hello Jan Paul,

I keep my e-mail / correspondence in Word files. In Outlook Express, I open the mail, select the text, right-click and choose \"copy\". Then I\'m going to a Word file and paste the text there. No problem so far. Then I want to do the same with the pictures attached to the mail, insert the picture into the Word file underneath the text so I can keep track of the pictures I received from somebody. No way I can do this. If I right-click on the picture (automatically opened by Outlook Express), I get a small menu with a copy function. When I choose \"copy\" and go to the Word file and choose paste (again by right-clicking), I can see the cursor jump a line but no picture appears (you know why....??).
When I open the picture from the attachment toolbar in Outlook Express, the picture opens through cam2pc in full screen mode and no toolbars are visible. When I right-click on the picture, the cam2pc menu doesn\'t have a copy function. So I\'m stuck.
The only thing I can do is save the picture into one or another directory and then go to Word and use the \"insert\" function, picking up the picture in the directory.
It\'s a shame as I paid € 25 to register, thinking it would work with the shareware.
Pedro917

Postby Jan Paul » Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:55 am

Hi Luc,

I understand what you are doing now.
Install IrfanView an associate all pictures with IrfanView, not to Cam2PC.
That way you should have the copy function you desire.
When you doubleclick the picture in Outlook Express (or anywhere else in the Windows Explorer), the picture gets openened in IrfanView. You can then do a richtclick copy in IrfanView and paste the picture in Word.

Cam2PC is a library/digicam solution and does not what you want for this (allthought CRLT-c should work out here too).
There is a freeware version and a shareware version you can try for 30 days before buying. Did you buy the program without trying this option in the freeware/shareware edition?

So, install IrfanView (freeware!) and everything should work for you.
You can find IrfanView at http://www.irfanview.com.
I suggest you install the IrfanView plugins too.

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby Pedro917 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:06 pm

Thanks Jan Paul,

I'll install Irfanview as you suggested. I got it free with a computer magazine last month. The guys from Nabocorp replied and also told me to use the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts ctrl+c / ctrl+v but that doesn't work and I don't know why.
Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated.
Cheers,

Luc
Pedro917

Postby AlunS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:43 am

Ctrl-C (or Edit -> Copy) *does* work, but not from the full screen display.

Anyway, when you have your image displayed, hit Enter to get into Browse mode (which will also display any other images in whatever temporary directory OE uses to temporarily store it's attachments when opened in this manner). From there you can either select the image and hit Cntrl-C or use the menu (Edit -> Copy).

Coincidentally, I'm a little confused as you say there is a Copy function on the context menu, but I don't see one on mine at all!.
AlunS

Postby Jan Paul » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:06 pm

AlunS wrote:Coincidentally, I'm a little confused as you say there is a Copy function on the context menu, but I don't see one on mine at all!.

It is on the normal Edit menu, the context menu is the richt-click menu and there no copy function there.
Jan Paul

Postby AlunS » Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:22 pm

It is on the normal Edit menu, the context menu is the richt-click menu and there no copy function there.

Duh! I know that! Next time try reading posts properly before replying :).

Anyway, I was referring to this comment by Pedro917, the original poster ...
1. When I right click on one of the opened pictures, I have a copy option in the small menu that appears. However, copy the picture and then paste it in Word doesn\\\'t work but why it doesn\\\'t work, I really don\\\'t know.
AlunS

Return to cam2pc