Nikon RAW (.NEF) problems

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Nikon RAW (.NEF) problems

Postby AlunS » Tue May 10, 2005 12:39 pm

Hi,

I\'m running the latest cam2pc (registered) and have just got a new camera, a Nikon D70s. I\'ve been experimenting with RAW files and have a couple of problems.

The first is when transferring files, the NEF files seem to get renamed in a different way. My rename string is %Y-%m-%d@%h.%u.%s.%e, but the NEF files get transferred with only the hour and minute fields, followed by a sequence number in parentheses, rather than with the seconds field as the last one.

The second is that both the preview, and full screen display of these NEF files is displaying a negative version of the image. The thumbnail is fine however. Note I\'m not talking about a colour cast due to WB problems here, but a negative image. For instance a picture of a yellow flower with green foliage appears as a blue flower with red foliage! The same happens if you select \"Develop Raw Images ...\" and save as a JPEG.

Any ideas? I can send you a sample file if you like?
AlunS

Postby AlunS » Sun May 15, 2005 6:42 pm

*BUMP*

Does anyone from nabocorp come here any more?
AlunS

Postby mharvey » Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:41 am

I think I am seeing the same thing. I also have tried to use Cam2pc (version 4.5.2) with some NEF files from my D70S. The thumbnails are fine. When I open the large image I do not get a negative but what I see is that the Red and Blue channels appear to be swapped.
mharvey

Postby AlunS » Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:12 am

mharvey wrote:I think I am seeing the same thing. I also have tried to use Cam2pc (version 4.5.2) with some NEF files from my D70S. The thumbnails are fine. When I open the large image I do not get a negative but what I see is that the Red and Blue channels appear to be swapped.
OK, maybe it's not actually a negative, but something screwy is going on. I have a picture of a yellow flower against a green background, and it looks like a cyan flower against a muddy red background. I have a JPEG version of the same shot and I've tried messing about in Photoshop splitting the channels (both RGB and CMYK) and recombining in the "wrong" order to try and create the same effect as what cam2pc displays for the RAW image, but to no avail.

There was some mention a while back about Nikon changing their RAW format for certain cameras to encrypt the white balance information. Don't know whether this maybe has something to do with it.
AlunS

Return to cam2pc