Requested Feature: Comment Update from File

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Requested Feature: Comment Update from File

Postby NACarter » Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:45 am

Hi,
I use Cam2PC all the time for my digital images, and over the last few years have changed how I manage comments. I now use Cam2PC's comment feature to write to the EXIF UserComment field in the images, but I originally used JCap to create text files containing the comments. I would like to be able to transfer the contents of the text files into the EXIF UserComment (i.e. contents of image1.txt into image1.jpg).

I have been writing my own Python script, using various freeware libraries, as well as exiv2 to write to the UserComment, but Cam2PC then shows that the EXIF information is lost. I think there must be an error introduced into the EXIF somewhere by something I've done.

So, my request is can Cam2PC be extended in one (or both) of these ways:

1) Allow comments to be imported from text files, using file names that are the same as the images, except for the .txt extension; or

2) Add command line options to Cam2PC so that one option is to write to the UserComment field, e.g. cam2pc -wc "This is a comment", where -wc for "write comment". Then I could add that command into my Python script.

Thanks for considering these options. I think Cam2PC is great, and recommend it wherever I go (I recently converted someone from Picasa to Cam2PC who then registered the shareware version).

Nick
NACarter

Postby nabocorp » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:28 am

Hello,

did you try to use http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/jhead/?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Jhead

Postby NACarter » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:45 am

I did look at Jhead, but it only modifies the JPEG comment, not the UserComment in the EXIF section that Cam2PC uses.
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:21 pm

For those of you who are interested, I found a freeware tool that will write to the EXIF area. Take a look at ExifTool by Phil Harvey: http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/. It's in Perl, so you will need to install Perl if you haven't got it already (there's a link to ActiveState's free Perl on the ExifTool page).

Nick
NACarter

Return to cam2pc