Persistent album catalog?

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Persistent album catalog?

Postby twin24 » Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:01 pm

H

I am trying to move photo files between folders, but the pics dissappear from the albums in which they were previously catalogued.
Am I doing something wrong, or the album catalog is just not capable of tracking file location changes?

Also, I would welcome any recommendation in terms of folder organization. Up to now I've been storing my pics in large yearly folders, and I thought about providing some order with albums. Is it better to have some thematic structure through folders?

Many thanks
twin24

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 4:48 pm

Hello,

yes albums are not able yet to track file location changes. This should be added to future versions I agree.

As for media organization, I suggest to group files in "small" folders. The Image Downloader of cam2pc is of great help for this as it can create destination folders automatically. I think it makes life easier to have 10 folders with 50 images in each instead of 1 folder with 500 images in it.

Once you have all these folders, you can always regroup pictures using albums.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby jstartin » Wed Jan 05, 2005 7:04 pm

Thought I would add another user\'s point of view :wink:

Updating Albums. I have had the same problem and resorted to opening the album file in the program folder with a text editor (it is a text file) and doing a \"search and replace\", which worked fine to fix things after a substantial reorganisation of my directories. But, Nabocorp, yes tracking should be added!

Source folder size. This is a very personal thing, but contrary to Nabocorp I find it much better to have \"date range\" folders that contain enough images to fill a good part of a CD. Monthly, quarterly, or whatever is dictated by files sizes and "productivity"! I rely on Albums (one image can be in many albums of course) and, now, JPEG comments and the new search facility to find things. I find this works extremely well (paragraph above not withstanding).
jstartin

Postby fpeyaud » Mon May 16, 2005 12:00 pm

I have been using registered version for a long time and still waiting for this improvement, is there any chance albums will be able to automatically track file moves in the next version?
Thanks
Fabien
fpeyaud

Return to cam2pc