Cam2pc vs Picasa

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Cam2pc vs Picasa

Postby Allekz » Tue Mar 08, 2005 4:44 am

I consider myself as a Cam2pc fan (and loyal client), but I just wanted to take a look at the Google picture viewer Picasa, and it gave me a really nice impression... I wonder if many of its features were taken from Cam2pc, it\'s so similar.

To tell the truth, I liked more the Picasa interfase and its editing tools and effects tha our Cam2pc. At the other hand, Cam2pc has some features that beats Picasa, like making custom screensaver and slideshows with many many transitions; the changing wallpapers; and mainly the wonderful way to download the pictures from the camera or card, setting the name of the photos and folders with the pictures properties, etc. This last feature is the really reason why I don\'t switch to Picasa.

Anyway I would like to have my Cam2pc one day as powerful (and beautiful) as Picasa... before Picasa start to download the pictures as Cam2pc does (then the temptation to switch will be unresistible) :P
Allekz

Postby nabocorp » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:00 am

Hello,

of course I have looked at Picasa. Although I also find it very nice I must say that I do not find it so easy to use. When you have 4 years of pictures on your HDD I find it very difficult to find something in Picasa. The goal of version 5.0 is to bring some of the nice-looking stuff of Picasa still keeping the way cam2pc is: a folder browser based imaging tool.

One thing that cam2pc can't compete with is the price! I do not have (yet) the same power that google as :D

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby tsehov » Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:52 pm

Since I use “onlyâ€
tsehov

Postby Allekz » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:29 am

Yes, I agree. I rather have the folder tree than the folder collections that Picasa make as he wants, it makes difficult to find the picture in the right place or the place I want.

Nevertheless, it doesn’t seem to be so slow, at least in my PC (P4, 1.7Mhz, 512M, WinXp SP2). I can work with CorelDraw, PhotoPaint, PowerPoint and hearing my music at the same time, and Picasa (and the others) work fine. The way you can edit a picture is really fast, just a double-click is enough to be able to make any fix, tune or effect, and go back to library in just another double-click. Zooming is another amazing feature. I’d say with George Harrison “something in the way it zooms attracts me like no other viewerâ€
Allekz

Postby tsehov » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:06 am

I was not actually saying Picasa2 is slow, what I meant is that I do not like my computer to give very much resources to \"simple\" thigs like image browsing just because I have better use to the computer power (memory, CPU time etc.). Especially if eating resources is just for some sweet candy user interface.

Question here is basically the matter of taste. Personally I prefer Image browsers like Cam2pc, XnView, older ACDSee etc. In other words: applications that do what they are meant to do (for instance let user view and manage pictures) and do it as well as possible without any pretty entertainment (I guess I can find entertaiment from somewhere else ...).
tsehov

Postby jstartin » Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:57 pm

tsehov wrote:But I think Picasa2 does not even come close to cam2pc when it comes to viewing and managing pictures.

I'm another cam2pc user (and fan) who couldn't resist the temptation to try Picasa. I agree entirely with tsehov. Although Picasa is fast enough on my computer I found the the "flashy" interface distracting and unpleasant, its refusal to recognise my careful division of pictures into windows folders maddening, image rendering inferior to cam2pc, and the lack of a quick switch to and from full screen viewing frustrating.

I did find (Nabocorp to note!) the image adjustments to be rather good (better than cam2pc), but then didn't care for the lack of control of jpeg compression on saving the altered image!

But for me, this is nowhere near challenging cam2pc's supremacy as a clean and highly functional downloader/thumbnailer/viewer/slideshow builer.
jstartin

Postby Allekz » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:40 am

Well... After using Picasa for a couple of weeks, I have to admit I was wrong... Plus, it was a terrible mistake! I think I have been dazzled by the impressive UI and its image enhancing tools, but you all are right, it isn\'t practical and fast at all.

Forget all I said about Picasa. It\'s not worthy even compare to the best of the best... Cam2pc!!! (just because they were made with different focuses, although they share many features)

The only thing I wish Cam2pc take from Picasa is the editing sliders to play with colors and shadows, etc., it gives you better control over the images.

Cheers!
Allekz

Postby nabocorp » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:04 am

cam2pc definitely has to improve on the image enhance feature. I start to have ideas to allow the window to grow in terms of features without necessarily growing in terms of size or uneasiness...

nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby jan.jedryka » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:03 pm

I routinely use cam2pc, Total commander and Xnview. I believe these programs have great functional virtues. They do what they were designed to do. I don\'t expect nor miss the image corrections because I will use a tool that does that well too. I must admit that the layers of PhotoShop are unbeatable. Bridge has been unloaded because of it\'s bloated dysfunctionality. Picassa lasted 10 minutes in my estimation. Software designers seem to think software users are stupid. Like the MS support person who could not cope with me using the classic (functional) GUI and tried to get me to do totally stupid things ending with trying to ping microsoft while having been told she was using the only phone line in/out. This is typical of the disrespect the S/W industry is treating us. This is why I will use cam2pc as a browser till the day I die. What you do you do well and I respect that.

Jan
jan.jedryka

Return to cam2pc