Downloader enhancement

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Downloader enhancement

Postby es » Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:15 pm

Auto directory creation is a great feature for keeping your pictures organized outside of the album organizer in cam2pc. It could still do with a little implrovement though. I would like an option to set the base directory under which the folders (year/month..etc.) are created. %P can only create 1 level, my structure is several levels deep.

e.g.
work\presentations
work\cebit
family\parties
family\vacation
friends\weddings
friends\weekends
etc.....

I also found a little bug in the downloader. When using the downloader to move pictures from one harddrive to another in a different directory structure using year\month and filename using '%Y%m%d_%h%u%s.%e' it would rename every picture of a specific date to the time of the first picture (e.g. 20050105_120202.jpg, 20050105_120202(2).jpg etc.). Pictures of a different day would take the time of the first picture of that day.
Works fine when downloading from flashcards so it's a minor issue since moving from hdd to hdd is not what it was designed for.
es

Postby nabocorp » Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:07 pm

Hello,

for the first par of your message you can probably try to enter "work\cebit" for the description. Tell me if it works.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby es » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:48 pm

Unfortunately '\' is not an alowed character in the discription.
es

Postby nabocorp » Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:58 pm

Then maybe I should allow it for your special purpose... Adding the possibility to have several %P will add complexity for most users when they do not need this and will make features like recall harder to describe...
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby es » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:55 pm

Hi,

I don't know if that's all there is to it. Alowing \ in %P would require cam2pc to parse the %P string into individual subdirectorynames and create the whole path one by one....
If you would seperate the 'rootpath' from the directory creation patern it would be solved without complication for other users. Just don't disable the 'to' field in the main downloader screen and just add the directory creation patern to that 'root' in advanced settings (instead of replacing 'to' with whole patern).

eg.
to (main screen) = 'X:\images'
creation patern (advanced settings)= '\%Y\%m'

instead of putting 'X:\images\%Y\%m' in advanced settings.

Seems very straight forward and even more logical to me. Don't know if anyone else shares that opinion though... (?) :wink:

Cheers,
ES
es

Postby aeon » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:25 pm

Hi es - I -think- what you say makes sense. Not at a PC with the software on it at the moment to look... I certainly agree that it is restrictive to always have to copy to the same root folder rather than have an option somewhere to set a sub folder path (and have cam2pc create it if it does not exist)...

This is the kind of thing cam2pc is good at so making it the best it can possibly be makes sense. BUT it needs to be kept simple too so the optional path would have to be available but not looking like yet another potentially confusing choice for users who do not want to bother with it.
aeon

Return to cam2pc