no offline catalog - what am i doing wrong?

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

no offline catalog - what am i doing wrong?

Postby chas6000 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:15 am

i catalog the cd-r and eject it and have nothing in the offline folder. can anyone specify the process i should be going through?

running v 4.5

thanks!
chas6000

for offline catalog - do i have to use ALBUM?

Postby chas6000 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:12 pm

for offline catalog - do i have to use ALBUM? and then use the BURN mechanism inside CAM2PC ??

I am burning CD using Nero outside CAM2PC - is this my problem?

Can someone give a brief description of how the offline cataloging is supposed to work? I dont understand the help docs description.

thanks!
chas6000

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:26 pm

Hello,

normally Offline Contents is simple to use. You take any CD containing pictures (burnt with whatever program). You put it in your CD drive, run cam2pc, go to Tools and then Catalog. You choose the root of your CD as the "directory to browse" (eg. D:\ or E:\ or whatever) and then click Start. The process should take a while: cam2pc scans all the pictures located on your CD to extract a thumbnail and the EXIF info. Once this is done you can close the Catalog dialog and remove the CD from the drive.

Now if you go to the Image Browser tree and expand the "Offline contents" node you should see a CD icon with the name of your CD. Beneath it you should be able to see all the directories of your CD. You can go to any directory and see the thumbnails for each picture.

If this does not work then it means something is broken somewhere.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby chas6000 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:36 pm

Thanks very much! It sounds like I have something broken. im using v 4.5 should I just reinstall? or is there a better suggestions?

thanks!
chas6000

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:58 pm

Does normal thumbnail caching works fine? The second time you go to a folder the thumbnails should appear very fast. You can also try to delete the database (tools menu) and see if it works better.
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby chas6000 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:02 pm

yes normal thumbnail caching works well - second time visiting a folder is very fast! i will take you sugestion and try rebuilding the DB. do you know of any problems sounding like my description with V4.5 and WinXP SP1?

thanks!
chas6000

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:03 pm

No it should not be an issue. I have SP1 and SP2 so I can retry but it should work fine.
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby chas6000 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:33 pm

here is the behavior - upon cataloging the first time - it is slow going throught the number of pictures, if you tell it to search again - it goes very quickly - like it has already cached these in the DB. all this seem good, but then when you click on the '+' next to offline folders, you are taken back to whatever was the last folder you were viewing before the catalog operation.
chas6000

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:58 pm

OK. Maybe you can send me your thumbnail database. Check its size: it's called Thumbs.db and it is located in the cam2pc installation directory. With it I maybe able to debug what is happening exactly.
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby chas6000 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:29 pm

nabocorp wrote:OK. Maybe you can send me your thumbnail database. Check its size: it's called Thumbs.db and it is located in the cam2pc installation directory. With it I maybe able to debug what is happening exactly.

thanks much for your offer and help! your comment about size prompted me to look at how the DB changes. when caching normal files - it grows - as it should. while trying to do the same with either 'catalog' command or simply viewing a CD folder, it does not grow. So for whatever reason the thumbs are not getting cataloged for the CD situation.

I have tried deleting the DB and then having it recreated. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software. nothing tried has changed this behavior of the DB (not growing when dealing with CD folders).

Do you have any further suggestions? These offline folder catalogs are a feature that I really want to be able to take advantage of! BTW -- really love CAM2PC and have talked it up to lots of others! -- Thanks!
chas6000

Return to cam2pc