the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Downloader Blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Sat Apr 19, 2003 8:22 pm

Hi All!

Problem:
1. The thumbnail does not appear.
2. The program will not close and exit.

I use XP Pro - has this any known bugs.

I love learning how to get a perfect exposure every time. So I love to see picture and basic exif info at the same time. cam2pc does well.
:)

jan
jan.jedryka

Postby nabocorp » Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:43 am

Hi,

could you give more details about the issues you list. It is very hard to give an answer when there is no real question...

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Downloader Blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:44 pm

When I launch Downloader
The thumbnail facility does not work. So I don't see what is downloading.
I assume that you can download and rename either individual pics or all at once. I can do thjem all but not individually - rename and download. So this is definitely a bug that I'm reporting.

I don't know that I can tell you much more.

Jan
jan.jedryka

Downloader Blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:46 pm

When I launch Downloader
The thumbnail facility does not work. So I don't see what is downloading.
I assume that you can download and rename either individual pics or all at once. I can do thjem all but not individually - rename and download. So this is definitely a bug that I'm reporting.

I don't know that I can tell you much more.

Jan
jan.jedryka

downloader blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:50 pm

Oh Yes and after I have downloaded the pics the downloader will not quit until Exit windows.
jan.jedryka

Downloader Blues

Postby lrnav » Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:21 pm

Hi Folks: First post; but I have been using Can2pc for several months.
Everything has been working just fine until just recently. (or at least any faults were my own.) However on my last 2 downloads I did not get either thumbnails or the viewer. As far as I can tell all my settings are okay. I did find the images in Explorer but found that I could only open them by modifying the titles slightly. That is DSCN 0001,JPG was changed to DSCN 0001.JPG 'one image at a time' until all images had thumbnails and could be opened in my editor, Photoshop Elements.
I use a Nikon Coolpix 4500 with a Dazzle Card Reader; my operating system is XP Home. The photoshop came with the camera, along with NikonView5, which I have uninstalled.

I really like your software but still have much to learn. I wondered if I should download your most recent upgrade and start fresh as I have spent several frustrating hours trying to find my mistake. :(
lrnav

Postby nabocorp » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:21 pm

If you rename your files to ,JPG it is normal that no software recognizes your images any longer. Windows file should end by the . followed by the extension, JPG in this case. If you do not know much about how this kind of things work under Windows I suggest you disable the image renaming option and keep the names generated by your camera.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Re: downloader blues

Postby nabocorp » Fri Apr 25, 2003 5:22 pm

jan.jedryka wrote:Oh Yes and after I have downloaded the pics the downloader will not quit until Exit windows.

What camera are you using?

nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Downloader Blues

Postby lrnav » Sat Apr 26, 2003 2:13 am

Hi Nabocorp:
Thanks for your prompt reply. But I don't think I have ever intentionally used a comma before an extension. However your blunt answer did lead me to closely exam all of my mask settings once again. And, you guessed it, there was a "," in front of "%e" instead of a "." :oops:

Then when I checked my print version of the help menu my old eyes (I'm 71) still saw a comma like shape. Need I add that a quick edit of that liitle spec has restored my faith in your software. All is well and as soon as I have paid my annual income taxes a PayPal donation will wing its way across the pond.

Regards and keep up the good work.

Dick K.
lrnav

Downloader Blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:39 pm

My camera is a Fujipix S602z
I use the usb port.
jan.jedryka

Postby nabocorp » Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:14 pm

Jan,

you are not supposed to see thumbnail of images are they are being downloaded (though it can be a nice improvement :)

If you used a mask that includes a description (%P) to create a directory then you can see a thumbnail for the first image of a given date: if you shot 5 pictures on the 18th and 4 on the 19th then you will see a thumbnail of the 1st image of the 18th and a thumbnail of the 1st image of the 19th.

If you used a mask that includes a description (%P) to rename the directory then you can see a thumbnail for each image.

It is normal that cam2pc does not quit at the end of the download. cam2pc needs to run permanently (until a better integration with Windows XP which should come in the next version) to detect that you pluged your camera in. When a download is finished there is no reason to quit cam2pc because you might want to download additional pictures before the next reboot.

When the better integration comes, cam2pc will appear in the list of possible applications to launch that Windows XP is aware of. In that case you won't have to have cam2pc run permanently on your system.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Download Blues

Postby jan.jedryka » Fri May 02, 2003 3:01 pm

Thank you for taking the time to explain all of that. I can now use the s'ware with more confidence. :)

Jan
jan.jedryka

"you are not supposed to see thumbnails as you download

Postby Caunt » Thu Jun 12, 2003 9:49 pm

Hi Nabocorp,

Just ordered a camera and found your software (from dpreview forum).
I've been playing with it and it strikes me you've done a wonderful job!

Anyway, just wanted to say that YES, it would be a Great addition to have an option of a detailed download that:
- showed a thumbnail of the image
- accepted a promt as the image was showing for descriptive naming on the file level. You've done an exceptional job so far, but those automatic numbers on files just don't cut it for finding anything later! The possibility above would sure help!

Maybe if you're in a hurry you wouldn't want to stop on each photo to supply a description, but in general, I think as you're downloading would be the most convenient time to do so!

Thanks for a great job!
Caunt

Return to cam2pc