cam2pc bug report

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

cam2pc bug report

Postby guzewski » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:47 am

I have set up cam2pc to check the date of each picture when transfering from the camera, for the purposes of creating a folder for each day that any pictures exist. The setup is as follows:

However, cam2pc insists on creating a directory using the date of the first picture and stuffing all pictures into that directory, regardless of their date.

By the way, this is the paid version of cam2pc. In the older free version this feature worked fine.
guzewski

Postby nabocorp » Sat Dec 04, 2004 2:27 pm

Hello,

this feature seems to work fine for most users. Are you sure you have photos shot at different dates in your camera?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

I'm sure about the photo dates

Postby guzewski » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:55 pm

There is no doubt about this defect in cam2pc, at least in the way it works on my system. Here is a part of a screen shot of a folder that was created and filled with photos by cam2pc:

Note how the dates span Dec 2 and Dec 3.

Is there anything I can do to help debug this phenomenon?
guzewski

Postby nabocorp » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:06 pm

Were you prompted twice for a description?
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby sb » Sun Dec 05, 2004 11:02 am

Hello,

I have the same problem. Dates are different on camera and after the transfert checking with the explorer but cam2pc alwyays put the pictures in the same directory.

Sylvain
sb

Only one prompt for description

Postby guzewski » Sun Dec 05, 2004 5:59 pm

Were you prompted twice for a description?

Nope, only once. However, I pressed "OK for remaining" on the download dialog. Could that be part of the problem? Hang on, I have a theory. Let me try a quick experiment...

Well then, what I find is that when I do not use %P in the destination folder mask then everything works fine (i.e. all the correct folders are created). Furthermore, if I use %P and click "OK" for each picture as it downloads (not "OK for remaining") then feature works correctly as well.

Although it works under these circumstances I think it's a bit crippled, and would prefer one of the following behaviors when "OK fo remaining" is clicked:

(1) Use the same description but create a folder for each unique date in the photo set.
(2) Prompt for a description for each unique date in the photo set, and of course create a folder for each date. According to your question quoted above, this is what I think you believe the behavior should be.
guzewski

Postby nabocorp » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:46 pm

Hello,

if you press "OK for all" it says put all the pictures in the same folder. If you want your pictures to go to folders like
[Day 1] Paris
[Day 2] Paris

Then you have to press OK for each day.

Pressing "OK for all" is the same as hitting "OK" then "Recall" then "OK" then "Recall" then...

This is how cam2pc was designed a few years ago so I guess it would be less then reasonable to change this now!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

new feature request, then

Postby guzewski » Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:23 pm

I understand the current functionality, but I still think it would be more user-friendly to maybe do one of the following:

(1) Add another button on the download screen that would say something like "OK for same date". Then, when a photo is being downloaded whose date is different from previous photos the prompt dialog can pop up, allowing the user to change the caption.
(2) Or just make (1) the default behavior for the "OK for remaining" button.

Basically, the "Get date for each individual picture" option should work under all circumstances, regardless of the presence or absence of the prompt. I think the fact that it does not is somewhat inconsistent. This is not to denigrate an otherwise excellent product, it's just a minor functionality tweak to make it even better.
Consider this a feature request :)

The alternative of clicking OK for each button seems like a lot of work, especially when I can take dozens of photos a day for a week when I'm on vacation (I can fit a couple of hundred photos on a 512 Mbyte SD card). While transferring photos it is easier for the software to check for a date change than it is for the user.

Anyway, for now we can consider this matter closed. It would be nice if you could possibly change this functionality in future versions of cam2pc
guzewski

Return to cam2pc