Some problems w/ver 3.0

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Some problems w/ver 3.0

Postby Terry Sammon » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:18 am

Having a couple of minor problems on ver. 3.0:

Unable to activate Shell Extension feature as I get a message telling me that "Registration Shell Extensions failed! Please re-install software"

Re-installed 4 times after uninstall of program and clean reboot. No go.

When in Image Browser and I right click on a pic and click to RENAME everything is fine until the last step, click on OK and get a message that cam2pc has caused an error in <unknown> and will close now. Program then closes.

Have tried on three computers, one w/256 MB RAM and two w/512MB RAM. No other programs running at all, just basic Windows stuff. Two 700 mhz Celerons and one 800 mhz Celeron, 2 clones and one HP.

Thanks. :shock:
Terry Sammon

Postby nabocorp » Tue Nov 26, 2002 4:17 pm

Terry,

thanks for the bug report. I myself saw the rename bug and it is already fixed but I am just waiting for one or two more bugs to pop in to release a 3.0.1. The deadline is end of this week. As the rename bug is pretty serious I will in any case release the 3.0.1 next week-end.

The shell extension bug has also been reported by another user. I have not experienced it myself but will try to work on this one hopefully for 3.0.1.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Achim Dreyer » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:28 am

I'm also having the problem that the shell extensions don't register properly on WindowsME (it works fine for me on Windows2000). Could you publish a *.reg file with the keys in the meantime as a workaround?

Achim
Achim Dreyer

Postby nabocorp » Mon Feb 10, 2003 11:22 am

Hello,

the only thing I can think of is:

- Go to the directory where you installed cam2pc. There should be a file called cam2pc-shellext.dll or cam2pc-shellext.tmp. If the .tmp file exists then rename it to .dll. You might have to activate "Show file extensions" in Explorer to see the file extensions.

- Open a Command prompt. type:
cd "c:\program files\cam2pc"
if you installed cam2pc to the default location. Otherwise change the command line to put the right directory.

- type "regsvr32 cam2pc-shellext.dll"

I have not tested this on 98 or Me because I do not have such a machine. If it does not work then you'll have to wait for the release of the next version which won't need a DLL anymore and thus should remove all this problems!

nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Achim Dreyer » Mon Feb 10, 2003 3:47 pm

It worked!

But regsvr32 wasn't in the path and I had to search for it and found it in C:\WINDOWS\OPTIONS\CABS\PWS on my WinMe machine. I don't know whether this is supposed to be the case for ME or whether my setup is corrupted. But it might well be the case for other users, too.

Thanks!
Achim
Achim Dreyer

Return to cam2pc