Windows xp file properties for jpg

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Windows xp file properties for jpg

Postby angel6700 » Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:33 pm

Hello,

I have noticed that in windows XP, if you right-click on a jpg file and then properties, In the summary tab you can see the exif information (advanced options) and also (in the simple options) one can enter some usefull information like:

Title, Subject, Author, Keywords and comments (There is also a categories box but it is disabled).

Where are these information stored?? Is it some kind of exif compatible information?? Is cam2pc compatible with it?

I'm using the freeware version of cam2pc, but really thinking in jump to the full featured version only if it finaly implemets that more super catalloging/searging facilities you are talking about. I should take a look to the beta and check if it have what I want...

Anyway, thanks for this magnific program.

Cheers.

Angel.
angel6700

Postby aba » Fri Nov 26, 2004 1:32 am

It's a feature of the NTFS filesystem, it allows additional datastreams for files that include these comments for graphics files as well.

It has nothing to do with EXIF or IPTC and the given data is not written in the image file itself so it's basically useless. I don't know any program using these data for such purposes (saving the file on a non-NTFS-device like CD, DVD or Flashcard would render the data useless because it's not transferred).
aba

Postby angel6700 » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:40 pm

I see, thanks for the info ;)

I had never heard about the iptc data info and it seems to be a good solution for the storage of keywords in adition to a database. You can allways reconstruct the database from the data in the jpg file.

Thanks.

Angel.
angel6700

Postby aba » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:22 am

there are two methods for saving data in pictures:

IPTC is the older one.
The International Press Telecommunications Council (IPTC) established quite a bunch of standards to allow easier transportation and exchange of news and images. One of the standards is used to be able to transport user data in images. It's used by all news agencies I know (and working for a daily newspaper I know quite a few).
Most professional software knows about IPTC and can handle it. because it's a standard used in a professional environment quite a few "homeoffice"-apps don't recognize it.

The Exchangeable Image File Format (EXIF) is used in digital cameras. It may hold camera data (not used in iptc) and a thumbnail which is handy for digicams that want to display thumbnails in a was that doesn't need to access a whole picture.

As far as I know Photoshop products like PS Album son't handle exif and Paintshop Pro doesn't know about IPTC (forgive me if I'm mistaken, I don't use one of these but I recall to have read something in some newsgroups), so the question to decide which to use is: Does the software you use support it (that includes the image editor - if it strips the data it would be fatal).

Apart from that you're correct. Because you might reconstruct the metadata from the image file this IPTC metadata format was invented.
aba

Return to cam2pc