cam2pc 4.5 Available!

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

cam2pc 4.5 Available!

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:26 pm

Hello,

cam2pc 4.5 is available! Go here: http://www.cam2pc.com

Thanks to all who participated in the beta test!

nabocorp

=======================================

Hello,

the first release candidate of cam2pc 4.5 is available. Here are the changes since beta 2:

* Fixed mouse wheel scrolling issues on non-XP
    * Convert/Resize/Enhance... now keep IPTC metadata
    * Fixed crash when reading movies fullscreen with mixed histogram enabled
    * Fixed renaming at download time which would rename all the files as the first one
    * Unknown EXIF makernotes are no longer dropped when edited
    * Image Viewer now detects screen resolution changes
    * SW: Fixed IPTC editing in TIFF files
    * SW: IPTC dialog now handles properly read-only files
    * SW: Added "Is Empty" and "Is not empty" string search criterias
I leave the previous posts so please read it if you have not done before for any information and warnings about beta.

And now for the download links:
Shareware: Not available anymore
Freeware: Not available anymore

Regards,
nabocorp

=================================

Hello,

second beta of 4.5 is available. Here are the changes since beta 1:

* Installer does not delete Quicklaunch icon anymore
    * Thumbnails sorting by name is now case insensitive
    * Some very wide or very high image would have an empty thumbnail
    * Shift-Delete now works in Image Viewer
    * Fixed Exif comment display in Exif palette
    * Fixed more scrolling issues in the thumbnail view
    * Added mixed histogram in fullscreen display
    * PSD files are no longer locked after having being read by cam2pc
    * SW: Added "Is in album" indicator in details view
    * SW: Added IPTC access from fullscreen viewer
    * SW: Added "Image browser location" in find location options
    * SW: Fixed bug in Enhancer when opened for the first time
    * SW: View > Toggle Album Mode was always disabled
    * SW: IPTC menu from browser contextual menu was always disabled
    * SW: Offline contents can be deleted using keyboard from tree
    * SW: Added "does not contain" string search criteria in Find images
    * SW: Added comment in find results
I leave the first post of beta 1 so please read it if you have not done before for any information and warnings about beta.

Regards,
nabocorp

=================================

Hello,

the first beta version of cam2pc 4.5 is ready. Here is the list of things changed for this version:

* Added PSD (Photoshop files) format support
    * Added F-Number as an easy viewable Exif data (thus removing ambiguity with Aperture)
    * Added Capture date as an easy viewable Exif data (thus removing ambiguity with Creation date)
    * "My Network Places" in tree now displays "My Network Places" instead of "Network Neighbourhood"
    * Improved performance when working with very large directories
    * Changed the way file associations are managed during installation
    * Fixed text size issues when printing or creating contact sheets
    * Fixed scrolling bug of thumbnail view in large directories
    * Fixed various bugs in PNG support (including transparency)
    * Fixed display of long (>=1s) exposure times
    * Fixed display of white balance for some images
    * Fixed: hopefully fixed more random transitions issues
    * Fixed: printing parameters are now properly saved
    * Fixed: Canon sound notes are now renamed as their master image when downloading
    * SW: Added IPTC support for TIFF and JPEG files
    * SW: Added search facility (almost 50 criterias incl. EXIF and IPTC tags)
    * SW: Added "Loop at end" option for built slideshows
    * SW: Added possibility to display only filenames in album window
    * SW: Added possibility to move or delete album contents
    * SW: Added possibility to specify home page URL in Instant Web Galleries
    * SW: Added optional histogram display in Enhancer
    * SW: Fixed generated web pages when comments spawns on several lines
    * SW: Appending of _edited in Enhancer is now optional
    * SW: Enhance image now remembers last used tool

If you do not plan to report bugs when beta testing then we should advise you NOT to download this beta : beta software is by definition unstable and may fail under any circumstance although we have course made our best to avoid such things. It is higly recommended to backup your data before installing this beta version of cam2pc. Of course, as for released versions, nabocorp cannot be held responsible for any data loss or any consequence of a data loss so beware!

To avoid that people run beta instable software as their every day software, this beta will expire sometime end of December. Hopefully a new beta or the final version will be released before this expiration date.

Please post any feedback in this thread.

Regards,
nabocorp
Last edited by nabocorp on Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Jan Paul » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:22 pm

Hi Nabocorp,

* "My Network Places" in tree now displays "My Network Places" instead of "Network Neighbourhood"
Correct, but I cannot keep focus on "My Network Places. It does not stay selected. Only when I get it to open and select an option in "My Network Places" this selected option will get selected. When I select "My Network Places" itself, the focus (blue selection) changes immidiately back to "This Computer" or "My Documents".
* Changed the way file associations are managed during installation
Ok. Works. Normally I clear all boces, now I have to select only one item (None).
Correted. Only it would be nice to not change the font size overall (as well header as picture information), but to have the font of the picture information and header as seperate font family/sizes.
* Fixed: hopefully fixed more random transitions issues
Corrected. I have tried several slideshows and tried several runs. I think someone else should also try it.
* SW: Added search facility (almost 50 criterias incl. EXIF and IPTC tags)
YES: IT WORKS OK. Great! :-)
Ok. Works.
* SW: Added possibility to display only filenames in album window
Ok. Works.

I found that loading a previously added directory the thumbnail database will recreate the thumbnails. Why give a message when starting Cam2PC for the first time that states the database is being converted. I think the database is being flushed. Please change the message into "Because of changes to the database, all database information will be cleared. The thumbnails will be rebuild the next time you select a directory" or something like that.

"Bug" not addressed yet (I do not know if this will be in the 4.5 version):
- Exif comment is shown as "ASCII" in stead of the comment itself.

Great version (as allways).

Kind Regards,
Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby nabocorp » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:17 pm

Correct, but I cannot keep focus on "My Network Places. It does not stay selected. Only when I get it to open and select an option in "My Network Places" this selected option will get selected. When I select "My Network Places" itself, the focus (blue selection) changes immidiately back to "This Computer" or "My Documents".

The way cam2pc is designed makes this impossible for the moment.

Correted. Only it would be nice to not change the font size overall (as well header as picture information), but to have the font of the picture information and header as seperate font family/sizes.

Maybe in a next version...

I found that loading a previously added directory the thumbnail database will recreate the thumbnails. Why give a message when starting Cam2PC for the first time that states the database is being converted. I think the database is being flushed. Please change the message into "Because of changes to the database, all database information will be cleared. The thumbnails will be rebuild the next time you select a directory" or something like that.

In fact the thumbnails are not recreated but the EXIF data is reloaded. This is specific to the 4.4 to 4.5 migration (because of F-Number and Capture date addition). Future database migration may not require an invalidation of the existing EXIF data: for instance if I add to the database a User Rating information.

"Bug" not addressed yet (I do not know if this will be in the 4.5 version):
- Exif comment is shown as "ASCII" in stead of the comment itself.

Solved for next beta (or release candidate).

Great version (as allways).

Thanks!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Joost » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:40 pm

Just downloaded and tested the following 2:

Added PSD (Photoshop files) format support: Works :!:

Added search facility (almost 50 criterias incl. EXIF and IPTC tags):
Like your smooth progressbar and the option for saving the result as an album.
Why is there an empty column in the search result? Mail or add a printscreen? Just let me know!

When using the advanced criterias there is no edit button, double click on the criteria itself for editing works :idea:

Just strarted with the testing, more result hopefully later this week.

Regards and keep up the great work!!!

Joost.
Joost

Postby nabocorp » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:45 pm

Joost wrote:Why is there an empty column in the search result? Mail or add a printscreen? Just let me know!

When using the advanced criterias there is no edit button, double click on the criteria itself for editing works :idea:

There is no empty column. That's just the way the standard Windows control is designed. Take any detailed view like this one (even in Explorer) and you'll see what I mean.

Double-clicknig was obvious for me but you are right I should add an Edit button.

Thanks,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby hussonl » Wed Nov 24, 2004 2:25 pm

Hi Nabocorp,

I've installed v4.5beta1 and here's my feedback :

nabocorp wrote:* SW: Added search facility (almost 50 criterias incl. EXIF and IPTC tags)

* Can you add in the "Where to search" combo the choice "In the current selected directory" (it's to avoid browsing)
    * The shortkey to access to Find feature (CTRL+F) was previously defined for showing/hiding the folders in the thumbnail view
    * Searching files in entire database with only 1 criteria "file path contain ski" returns only files stored in a directory named "ski au mottaret", even if I've also an other directory called "Ski à Courchevel". I've renamed "Ski à Courchevel" directory to "Ski a Courchevel" (remove accent only) and then the search result was OK (files in both directories was found).
    But after an optimization of the database my both first searchs succeeded ! So I don't understand ! (Note, that during the 1st start of cam2pc, I've chosen to convert the whole database)

nabocorp wrote:* Changed the way file associations are managed during installation

* Nothing to say about it ! Great !

nabocorp wrote:* Fixed text size issues when printing or creating contact sheets
* SW: Appending of _edited in Enhancer is now optional
* SW: Enhance image now remembers last used tool[/list]
* SW: Added possibility to move or delete album contents
* Added F-Number as an easy viewable Exif data (thus removing ambiguity with Aperture)
* Added Capture date as an easy viewable Exif data (thus removing ambiguity with Creation date)
* SW: Added optional histogram display in Enhancer
* SW: Added possibility to specify home page URL in Instant Web Galleries
* SW: Fixed generated web pages when comments spawns on several lines

* OK from my point of view

nabocorp wrote:* SW: Added possibility to display only filenames in album window

* OK, but can you add the possibility to view all details of each file (as it's possible in the thumbnail view) and

And some minor defects (probably also in older releases) :
    * In the thumbnail window, when right-clicking on the column header, the popup menu is not big enough to display entirely the last element "Flash"; The lower border of the icon is not visible
    * In the details view of the thumbnail, we don't have any idea of which pictures are in the album (instead of the thumbnail view where there's a small star)
    * When creating Instant Web Gallery, what are the resolution of each possible size (Small, Normal, Large, XLarge) ?
    * In the "Enhancer", with "Crop" tool, according to the size of the "after" frame, the selected area is not always the same (i.e. : My picture is 2048*1536 and I like to cut the lower and upper part; if I've selected tab "After", the size of the area selected is 2046*823, and without modifying the area, if I choose the area "Before & After", the size is changed in "2042*816"; When I change again to "After" tab, the size become again "2046*823"
    * Add the possibilility to view an histogram of the mix of all colours in the fullscreen view (as it's possible in the "Enhancer"
    * When creating an Instant Web Gallery, when previewing the HTML slideshow, after pausing and unpausing, the counter restart from the initial value (i.e. : 5 seconds, even if, when pausing the remaining time was 1 second). After generating the real HTML slideshow, after unpausing, the counter continue from the value before pausing (i.e. : 1 second)

Best regards,
Laurent
hussonl

Postby netnichols » Thu Nov 25, 2004 7:03 pm

Great to see a new version on the way!

I tried it out, but only very briefly to check out the new features. The main issues I remember noticing were:

- Mouse wheel scrolling wasn't working in the thumbnails view.
- After right-clicking a thumbnail, the 'edit IPTC' option was greyed out, but it was functional in the edit menu.

I would also like to make a suggestion.

Now that there are IPTC capabilities, it would be really really great to have a new IPTC Palette, just like the EXIF Palette. And what might be even better would be to have a 'Meta' or 'Annotation' palette that just has the most frequently changed meta attributes (ie. 'caption', 'date', 'categories', etc). This would be similar to the 'Database Properties' panel in ACDSee, but I'm confident it could be made much cleaner and user friendly in cam2pc, just like everything else.

If such a feature is added it will be a matter of nanoseconds before my purchase order comes in! ;)
netnichols

Postby Joost » Fri Nov 26, 2004 8:09 pm

After right-clicking a thumbnail, the 'edit IPTC' option was greyed out, but it was functional in the edit menu.

I've got the same experience with the thumnail view, this option only work with the Image pull down menu or the key combination Ctrl+I.

When in full screen mode Exif screen is available with Ctrl+E, can you make this new screen also available in full screen mode?
Joost

Postby jstartin » Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:54 pm

Nabocorp

I've given 4.5 b1 a good tryout. Seems to be completely stable on my system with everything I have tried.

There is a defect whereby the thumbnails pane no longer scrolls. Move the selection down the pane with the down-arrow key and it moves out of view. Didn't happen in last release.

Similarly "Browse to" from an album thumbnail does not scroll the thumbnail pane.

And expanding thumbnails now seems to move the currently selected thumbnail out of the visible part of the pane.

Search facility will be very useful, and seems nicely implemented - but I would like advanced search on a "text field" (eg filename) to offer "does not contain" as a criterion. Why? I reserve the underscore character for use in naming post processed files. So "does not contain" "_" would find all non-postprocessed files which I want to do as part of my backup and archiving strategy.

In the "Find Images" Results window could you show the exif comment as well as the thumbnail for the selected result line.

Viewing of Photoshop (PSD) files is great for many people, but what about support for Paint Shop Pro (PSPimage)?

On the whole though, great stuff, as usual.
jstartin

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:19 pm

hussonl wrote:* Can you add in the "Where to search" combo the choice "In the current selected directory" (it's to avoid browsing)
* The shortkey to access to Find feature (CTRL+F) was previously defined for showing/hiding the folders in the thumbnail view

1. Done
2. Ctrl+F is really the only shortcut that makes sense for Find. "View folders" has been changed with Shift+F. Menu will be updated in next beta.

hussonl wrote:
nabocorp wrote:* SW: Added possibility to display only filenames in album window

* OK, but can you add the possibility to view all details of each file (as it's possible in the thumbnail view)

Not possible yet. This will come with another request to be able to change the thnumbnails size of the album window.

hussonl wrote:* In the thumbnail window, when right-clicking on the column header, the popup menu is not big enough to display entirely the last element "Flash"; The lower border of the icon is not visible
* In the details view of the thumbnail, we don't have any idea of which pictures are in the album (instead of the thumbnail view where there's a small star)
* When creating Instant Web Gallery, what are the resolution of each possible size (Small, Normal, Large, XLarge) ?
* In the "Enhancer", with "Crop" tool, according to the size of the "after" frame, the selected area is not always the same (i.e. : My picture is 2048*1536 and I like to cut the lower and upper part; if I've selected tab "After", the size of the area selected is 2046*823, and without modifying the area, if I choose the area "Before & After", the size is changed in "2042*816"; When I change again to "After" tab, the size become again "2046*823"
* Add the possibilility to view an histogram of the mix of all colours in the fullscreen view (as it's possible in the "Enhancer"
* When creating an Instant Web Gallery, when previewing the HTML slideshow, after pausing and unpausing, the counter restart from the initial value (i.e. : 5 seconds, even if, when pausing the remaining time was 1 second). After generating the real HTML slideshow, after unpausing, the counter continue from the value before pausing (i.e. : 1 second)

1. Fixed
2. Implemented
3. 480, 640, 800 and 1024 for the largest dimension
4. Will try to fix this one but no promise. The code for this stuff is quite poor and hard to fix... This would require a major rewrite of the code which I cannot afford at this time.
5. Implemented
6. Will try to fix the Javascript for this

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:21 pm

netnichols wrote:- Mouse wheel scrolling wasn't working in the thumbnails view.
- After right-clicking a thumbnail, the 'edit IPTC' option was greyed out, but it was functional in the edit menu.

1. Strange. Keep me updated if it is still not working in new beta because I cannot reproduce it.
2. Fixed

netnichols wrote:Now that there are IPTC capabilities, it would be really really great to have a new IPTC Palette, just like the EXIF Palette. And what might be even better would be to have a 'Meta' or 'Annotation' palette that just has the most frequently changed meta attributes (ie. 'caption', 'date', 'categories', etc). This would be similar to the 'Database Properties' panel in ACDSee, but I'm confident it could be made much cleaner and user friendly in cam2pc, just like everything else.

Sorry not for this 4.5. But as I wanted to add customization of the EXIF palette, the EXIF palette could become a Metadata Palette and one would be able to choose the tags he wants listed here (among EXIF and IPTC).

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:21 pm

Joost wrote:
After right-clicking a thumbnail, the 'edit IPTC' option was greyed out, but it was functional in the edit menu.

I've got the same experience with the thumnail view, this option only work with the Image pull down menu or the key combination Ctrl+I.

When in full screen mode Exif screen is available with Ctrl+E, can you make this new screen also available in full screen mode?

1. Fixed
2. Added

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:25 pm

jstartin wrote:There is a defect whereby the thumbnails pane no longer scrolls. Move the selection down the pane with the down-arrow key and it moves out of view. Didn't happen in last release. Similarly "Browse to" from an album thumbnail does not scroll the thumbnail pane. And expanding thumbnails now seems to move the currently selected thumbnail out of the visible part of the pane.

All these scrolling issues should be fixed in new beta. Please keep me updated.

jstartin wrote:Search facility will be very useful, and seems nicely implemented - but I would like advanced search on a "text field" (eg filename) to offer "does not contain" as a criterion. Why? I reserve the underscore character for use in naming post processed files. So "does not contain" "_" would find all non-postprocessed files which I want to do as part of my backup and archiving strategy.

Added.

jstartin wrote:*In the "Find Images" Results window could you show the exif comment as well as the thumbnail for the selected result line.
*Viewing of Photoshop (PSD) files is great for many people, but what about support for Paint Shop Pro (PSPimage)?

1. This would slow down the search in some cases so I dropped it for the moment. I think that one clever thing to do would be to show the data returned for each image for each search criteria specified. Of course in that case a fast search would display filename and comment.

2. Could not find detailed specifications for PSP format. Will add this as soon as I can get some info or some ready-to-use code to load PSP images. Sorry!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby leolu » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:02 pm

Hi, I just registered, love this soft. I bought it because of IPTC mainly - that's why I'm using the beta :wink: .

Some remarks :

nabocorp wrote:
netnichols wrote:- Mouse wheel scrolling wasn't working in the thumbnails view.

1. Strange. Keep me updated if it is still not working in new beta because I cannot reproduce it.
2. Fixed

Glad you fixed 2),I have it as well. I also experience 1) as well (Win2K, FR, latest update)

Otherwise, what I really wish you add is a multiple image IPTC edition feature. I know it's not obvious, but you can check out what PixVue has done (great!). One of the other great features of PixVue you could add is the "auto-filling" of keywords while IPTC editing.

Finally, do you have a french release of the beta ?

Great soft anyway.

Leolu.
leolu

Postby leolu » Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:36 pm

Hi,

just found another little defect :
if you enhance an image - fo instance apply an "autolevel", you loose the IPTC information in the newly created image.

Note : if you are able to to a lossless JPG save (for instance after a crop operation), the IPTC info is kept.

leolu.
leolu

Next

Return to cam2pc