cam2pc 4.5 Available!

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:14 pm

leolu wrote:Hi,

just found another little defect :
if you enhance an image - fo instance apply an "autolevel", you loose the IPTC information in the newly created image.

Note : if you are able to to a lossless JPG save (for instance after a crop operation), the IPTC info is kept.

leolu.

Yes you are right. And this also goes for resize, convert, add borders... All the features that have an option to keep Exif data should also keep Iptc. This will be fixed for the next beta or final release.

Thanks!
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby netnichols » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:01 pm

nabocorp wrote:
netnichols wrote:- Mouse wheel scrolling wasn't working in the thumbnails view.
- After right-clicking a thumbnail, the 'edit IPTC' option was greyed out, but it was functional in the edit menu.

1. Strange. Keep me updated if it is still not working in new beta because I cannot reproduce it.
2. Fixed

Mousewheel scrolling in the thumbnail panel is still not working for me with beta 2. However, it does work in other panels, for instance.. the Folders panel. If you need any more information just let me know.

nabocorp wrote:
netnichols wrote:Now that there are IPTC capabilities, it would be really really great to have a new IPTC Palette, just like the EXIF Palette. And what might be even better would be to have a 'Meta' or 'Annotation' palette that just has the most frequently changed meta attributes (ie. 'caption', 'date', 'categories', etc). This would be similar to the 'Database Properties' panel in ACDSee, but I'm confident it could be made much cleaner and user friendly in cam2pc, just like everything else.

Sorry not for this 4.5. But as I wanted to add customization of the EXIF palette, the EXIF palette could become a Metadata Palette and one would be able to choose the tags he wants listed here (among EXIF and IPTC).

Fair enough. Your solution would surely be welcome. However, I would still suggest a separate *editable* panel for the future. I really like the idea of being able to easily see and edit the most important meta data (for me the date, caption and categories) while viewing with the thumbnail panel and not opening any separate windows. So if you will consider this for future major releases I will be very happy. :)

This in addition to free rotation and a simple calendar view (i also like acdsee's approach to a calendar) results in my ideal image browser!
netnichols

Postby Jan Paul » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:25 pm

netnichols wrote:Mousewheel scrolling in the thumbnail panel is still not working for me with beta 2. However, it does work in other panels, for instance.. the Folders panel. If you need any more information just let me know.

Are you using a Logitech mouse driver? Try uninstalling this. See the thread about mouse behaviour http://www.nabocorp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=566.
Mouse wheel scrolling is working fine for me in all panels.

Regards,
Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby aba » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:02 pm

Jan Paul wrote:
netnichols wrote:Mousewheel scrolling in the thumbnail panel is still not working for me with beta 2. However, it does work in other panels, for instance.. the Folders panel. If you need any more information just let me know.

Are you using a Logitech mouse driver? Try uninstalling this. See the thread about mouse behaviour http://www.nabocorp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=566.
Mouse wheel scrolling is working fine for me in all panels.

That still doesn't explain why the mouse wheel works in all former versions but not in the beta and only in the thumbnail panel.

There must be sth. changed between 4.4 and 4.5beta and I would prefer that nabocorp fixes this change instead of forcing everybody with a logitech mouse to change drivers (and yes, I use logitech and all former versions work just fine with my mousewheel)
aba

Postby nabocorp » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:14 pm

Mouse wheel scrolling has been fixed for next beta or release candidate. It did not happen on XP so that's why it leaked in the first two betas but I was able to reproduce it under 2000.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

IPTC only in shareware version?

Postby marcv » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:50 pm

Hi nabocorp,

is the IPTC info available in the free version? I cannot find any menu items for it.

Kind regards,
Marc
marcv

Re: IPTC only in shareware version?

Postby nabocorp » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:33 am

marcv wrote:Hi nabocorp,

is the IPTC info available in the free version? I cannot find any menu items for it.

Kind regards,
Marc

Hello,

no IPTC is only in the shareware version. When you look at the Changes list, all changes that start with "SW" are for the shareware version only.

But in the next beta, Convert/Resize... features will preserve EXIF and IPTC data even in the freeware version.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Re: cam2pc 4.5 Beta 2 available

Postby jstartin » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:14 pm

nabocorp wrote:Hello,
second beta of 4.5 is available. Here are the changes since beta 1:

* Fixed more scrolling issues in the thumbnail view
-Keyboard scrolling now works properly for me. My mousewheel only scrolls the Album. I can't get it to scroll the Thumbnail pane. This is on 2 systems with WinXPSP2 and standard MS mouse drivers.

* Added mixed histogram in fullscreen display
-Nice, but a bit small for clear interpretation!

* PSD files are no longer locked after having being read by cam2pc
-OK.

* SW: Added "Is in album" indicator in details view
-Nice.

-Would it be possible to have an option to make the "Is in album" indicator on full screen views persistent?

-Maybe for later, but it would be useful to "Remove from Album via keystroke" while viewing an Album full screen.

* SW: Added "does not contain" string search criteria in Find images
-Thank you!

-Since I anticipate working through a backlog of images without EXIF or IPTC comments it would now be useful to have "Is empty" as a criterion (and, for completeness but without such obvious application :wink: "Is not empty".

- After more use I am finding the separation of the "Find Images" dialog and the "Results" to be inconvenient. A single, integrated and minimizable pane for search might be better.

* SW: Added comment in find results.
-Either this doesn't work for me, or I misunderstand what you mean. Can you explain a bit more?
jstartin

Postby jstartin » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:48 pm

Nabocorp:

In 4.5b2 attempting to save IPTC metadata to a read-only jpeg file gives no error message or hint of a problem, but it is not saved.
jstartin

Postby nabocorp » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:00 pm

jstartin wrote:Nabocorp:

In 4.5b2 attempting to save IPTC metadata to a read-only jpeg file gives no error message or hint of a problem, but it is not saved.

This will fixed in next beta of 4.5.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby leolu » Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:39 pm

Hi,
just found a pb on RC1 (I don't know if it was there before) :

I used the explorer part of the browser panel, to move and delete some folders.
I got a bad behaiour when I moved a folder to a another folder where a folder of the same name already existed :
I got a popup (which was right) , but when I was moving my mouse to this popup, the explorer part was still selected and the focus (the selected dir) was moving inside.

The move operation was however well performed at the end.

In addition to that, if you do the same operation as previously mentionned, and you answer "cancel" to the "replace pop-up question", your directory structure gets all closed, and I get my "poste de travail" tree emptied. It shows again if reloade.

- I'm using W2K -

leolu.
leolu

Postby jstartin » Sun Dec 05, 2004 12:21 am

Nabocorp

Some feedback on RC1 running with WinXP SP2.

One very minor bug - open the exif palette, expand sections to overfill the palette height, the scroll bar appears but is inactive (greyed out), scrolling with mousewheel or keyboard is possible and in fact makes the scroll bar active.

Two oversights? - IPTC "Priority" and "Object cycle" need an option to "clear" - not that I expect to use these fields! Cannot search on IPTC "Additional categories"

Otherwise - great! Everything I have tried does exactly what it should.
jstartin

Postby stephenjd » Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:02 am

If the album name has an & (ampersand) in it, it doesnt display properly in the Album List window (it underlines the character following the &)

Thanks

Stephen
stephenjd

Previous

Return to cam2pc