Haven't been out here for a while. Still using cam2pc though.
I appreciate your question (and your SW, using now 4.4.0).
- I agree with Jan Paul: tagging and searching the tags may be great, but slow unless cached (optionally) in a db, as for the thumbnails. After all, I believe tagging is a feature that many people are looking for.
- I also have few minors with the albums:
+ Would appreciate to have a separate (or possibly common) zoom (thumbnail size choice) for the albums. They may scroll very small, even smaller then they appear now, but sometimes I'd have liked to be able zooming in.
+ Would like to have some sort of copy/paste within the album. I'm having some rather large albums and sometimes need to move a photo quite a bit. How I do it now is move a bit, scroll, move a bit more, ... or browse to phto, remove from album, re-add to album by drag and drop into proper place.
- HTML slideshow generation without resizing/moving photo's.
For 5.x: Features I'd pay for (fair shareware price)
- Archiving/Duplication control:
+ Option to transfer to some media (CD or set of CD's or DVD's or...) of a given size a selected set of photo's and folders, with automatic fitting, keeping folders together as much as possible
+ Add a file that makes sure the medium can be recognised (byID) when inserted again
+ Optionally add all of the database (thumbnails,...) related to these photo's for fast viewing.
+ Optionally transfer any album or all albums that match all of the selected photo's with it. As because of the nature of CD's,... paths in the created album file should be relative vs. the root of the CD.
+ Optionally transfer an album content (allready supported) together with an album file.
+ Import (on another PC) or restore all these things, including albums,...
+ Keep track wich files are archived and onto which medium (by the unique ID) optionally keep some spare on these media for later updates. Show which files have been updated/modified since the transfer/backup...
I believe quite some users are looking for this kind of features. The others are not having a lot of photo's or are not aware that harddisks may crash or simply are rich anough to buy redundand equipment...
- SMIL slideshow creation tool that uses the same thumbnail database as cam2pc. SMIL is an open standard pretty much like flash. Allows timing of all kind, text overlays, transitions, music,... Slowly evolving into having decent viewers available, including one open source (AMBULANT). I like the open standard as it kind of assures my slideshows' life and encourages open devellopment. Slideshow creator for me should combine what I have now in cam2pc albums (easy thumbnail drag and drop) with other enhanced features (transition timing per photo, text overlays, music timing, zooming out, showing different photo's next to each other,...) Available SW I found was rather useless or too expensive.