cam2pc viewer 'issues'

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

cam2pc viewer 'issues'

Postby Trymor » Sat Mar 22, 2003 2:46 pm

Good morning!

There are 2 thing keeping me from using the cam2pc viewer as my default viewer over the old 2.21 version of ACDSee 32.

When viewing images using the space bar to advance through pictures after auto-downloading them, I like to hit the delete key to get rid of the pictures I dont want to keep. If the pictures are read-only, cam2pc viewer seems to delete the pictures, but when I close it and look at the files with Windows explorer, there are still there.

ACDSee just prompts that the files are read-only and asks if I am sure I want to delete them. Cam2pc viewer has a prompt too, but apparently it doesnt apply to read-only files. I really need to delete read-only files while viewing them, any chance of an option to delete read-only files while viewing?

The other thing keeping the viewer from being a good default viewer, is the 'speed'. ACDSee shows the picture drawing from the top down as it loads, but only if the next image isn't fully cached. This way, I can hit the space bar to advance to the next image, and from seeing only the top 1/4th or so of the picture, decide if it was a picture I want to see. I can hit the space bar as fast as I want and it it advances eventhough it doesnt have time to diplay a picture. With cam2pc, I hit the space bar, and wait, with no indication on how much of the current picture is loaded. This method can be faster and more convinient then using the browser sometimes.

Another small issue is not being able to see a mouse curser in the viewer. I use a multi-monitor setup, with my main monitor in the center. When zoomed into a picture, I try to use the mouse to move the picture around. Without being able to see the cursor, sometimes I end up on a different monitor, grabing a different program like Winamp and dragging it under the picture in the main monitor. Very frustrating...hehe.

Anyways, keep up the great work!
Trymor
Trymor

Postby Pieter » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:18 am

On your last point, I don't see the use of a mouse curser in full screen mode. If you want to drag and drop, a feature I would appreciate, you should do that with thumbnails. When previewing the images, I don't want anything polluting the screen, especially not a curser.
Pieter

Postby nabocorp » Sat Mar 29, 2003 11:25 am

Yeah that's what I tought about the cursor. But anyway that was not a long stuff so I already did it. I added an option to "hide the cursor" which is "on" by default so no change for most users but Trymor will be able to show the cursor.

About the drag'n'drop what would you want: be able to d'n'd between Windows Explorer and cam2pc to copy/move files or d'n'd from the thumbnails to the tree?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Trymor » Sat Mar 29, 2003 2:07 pm

I'm sorry, mabey I wasn't clear. I don't want any kind of 'drag and drop'. What I am talking about is when I am in 'full screen viewer mode'. If I zoom in to the picture past the screen boundrys, I am able to move the screen around to see different parts of the picture with the mouse.

The problem is, I have 3 monitors, and since I cant't see the mouse cursor, I end up moving the mouse to another monitor and accidentally grab another program window and drag it behind the viewer.

Perhaps the best way to handle this, would be to have an option like 'show cursor on mouse movement' then 'hide mouse after 'n' seconds.

Anyways, thank you, I will try it after your next release. This was the most minor issue though, the "missing options" of 'allow deleting of read only files', and 'view image as it's loading', are what has kept this program from being my default viewer. I will continue to test it as new versions are released, as the latest release has made cam2pc my default downloader :)

Thank you,
Trymor
Trymor

Drag and drop

Postby nathanhill » Thu Apr 03, 2003 11:27 am

I, however would like drap and drop.

I showed cam2pc to another user who swears by ACDSEE, and he liked it alot, but after five minutes he discovered no drag & drop to other programs (like word / explorer / mail / etc). That was the show stopper for him. I concur (however, I will continue using, and hoping for drag & drop - I use the file renaming & importing options a lot).

Would it be hard to for example implement a toolbar button that allows click and drag to work in different modes, one like today for selecting pictures, and a new mode where click and drag results in drag and drop? Short of that, maybe an option for how you want cam2pc to behave? :?:
nathanhill

Postby nabocorp » Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:39 pm

Yeah seems a good idea to have something that toggles between rectangle selection and drag and drop. Will think about this for the next version.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Return to cam2pc