Registering/Donation, Feature Request

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Registering/Donation, Feature Request

Postby aba » Sat Nov 23, 2002 9:50 pm

1. Please get this "Donation/Registration" stuff straight.

Your website states cam2pc is free for non commercial use. The program is crippled that it doesn't allow downloading of more than 5 pictures without registration (maybe there are more things but I didn't encounter them up to now). The Registration link in the options dialogue points to paypal and explains that more than $10 have to be paid to be able to use all options (unfortunately it doesn't tell you which options and only experimenting with the program let me discover the 5 pics barrier - except for the bad pixel removement, this is explained in the install dialogue) but the same link is used for a "donation link" on the webpage (I don't know about france, but in my country there is a big difference between donation and registry fee) - there is not even a licence agreement (at least I haven't found one, neither on the webpage nor in the program, only a copyright is stated).

The documentation doesn't tell you anything about how this software is crippled or whether you are entitled to use it non commercially with more than 5 pictures - even here nothing about the licence.

Please get this straight:

Tell the users what benefits they'll have from registering and which features are added by registration.
Make sure that the people know that this software is shareware, get a licence agreement in the file (I think there are countries where that is required, but I'm not sure).
Lighten us up about the free use thingy (means: does someone gets a free key when using it in a nc environment or do nc users have to live with only 5 transferred pics).
Don't call it donationware, with the limitation to 5 images it's not really usable - I Think.

The program is great, the documentation quite extensive but this part bothers me very much.

2. Feature request...

I really like the renaming part (that's the reason why I'm testing the program - the software I used before didn't allow that). But I have a small wishlist:

a) allow folders to be renamed like files (means: yes, I do want more than one folder a day with different timestams - ever visited a city and went back to the hotel just to take a shower, get the pics down from the camera and back to the city?)

b) allow using exif-data for picture names. I tend to change resolution between the shots and would like to have filenames that not only indicate date/time but resolution as well. There are some exif-datastrings that might interesting for others as well (zoom/exposure time and so on).

Please let me know when the licence agreement is finished. I'm eager to buy your software but not without a proper licence agreement.
aba

Postby nabocorp » Mon Nov 25, 2002 12:05 pm

The only non-free feature is the dead pixel removal stuff.
All the rest of the software is free.

Without registration you may fix up to 5 images using the dead pixel removal stuff. If you donate more than $10 then you get a serial number that completly unlocks the software.

nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Registration

Postby ljm » Sat Feb 08, 2003 9:47 pm

I agree with the comments about registration. I think I would like to use this product for dead pixel removal (its the only use for it I have) but 5 images are just not enough for me to be sure that it's worth parting with my $10. Inital results are promising but there's a few more tests I would like to do.

I think I may have to search further for another product.
ljm

Return to cam2pc