Auto download on program startup REQUEST

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Auto download on program startup REQUEST

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:54 pm

It would be nice if cam2pc would have the option to auto download as soon as the program starts, and possibly, have the program close from the tray when finished. This way, I can insert a flash card into a card reader, and Windows XP can choose cam2pc as the program to run, download all my pictures, then close, exiting the system tray and freeing memory.

The way it is now, I have to have cam2pc reside in the tray, unplug my card reader, insert the flash card, then plug the card reader back in for cam2pc auto download my pictures.

My card reader, as long as it is plugged in, appears as 4 hard drives to Windows. Windows recognizes when a flash card is inserted or removed from the card readers slots, but cam2pc does not. Cam2pc on recognizes when the card reader is unplugged, then plugged back in.

I understand this behavior simulates plugging a camera in, but your software could be used the same way for those of us with card readers, if you implemented an option to 'download on program launch'.

Perhaps even a simple command line switch could be implemented to 'download on cam2pc launch' if it is difficult to incorporate the option into the GUI of the program.

Thank you for reading :)

Trymor
Last edited by Trymor on Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trymor

Postby nabocorp » Fri Mar 21, 2003 8:56 pm

Hello,

the newly released cam2pc 3.1 detects card memory insertion into a card reader. At last it does on my card reader :-)

As for cam2pc to appear in the list of possible applications when Windows XP detects a picture media it will be for the next version!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:06 pm

Wow, now thats service! :wink: It works now, thanks!

I already have cam2pc in the list of applications when media is inserted, but when it runs, it just opens in the tray. I then have to remove and re-insert the card for cam2pc to download the pictures. I guess I will just have to leave cam2pc in my tray along with my other 10 programs... hehe.

There are a couple other issues, but I will start new threads for them.

Thanks again,
Trymor
Trymor

Postby nabocorp » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:15 pm

Trymor,

strange cam2pc is listed in the list of possible applications. Did you put it yourself?

If yes, then you can use the /transfer argument followed by the path to download pictures from:

cam2pc.exe /transfer J:\DCIM

I think that you can try to find the command line that XP executes in the registry and add "/transfer %L" after cam2pc.exe. As I told you proper integration is planed for next release!!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:30 pm

Yes, I put it there myself.... I will try what you suggest, that is exactly what I was looking for. Does the transfer switch start then exit the program, or just 'call' the program?

EDIT:
Just tryed it, works great!

Put the flash card in the reader, cam2pc opens, downloads, and closes - exactly what I wanted!

I did this using TweakUI, included in 'Powertoys for Windows XP', free from Microsoft. There is an option to add autoplay handlers, and there is a place to enter arguments.

You the man!
Trymor
Trymor

cam2PC /transfer as autoplay handlers

Postby TilRoquette » Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:17 am

... does not function (or I did not do it properly).

@Trymore

What I did: XP Powertoys, My Computer - Autoplay - Handlers
Create:
Program = cam2PC
Args = /transfer "%L"

Supported Media:
- Mixed content
- Digital Images

Anything wrong with that?
TilRoquette

cam2pc starts on USB-insert - but not tranfer

Postby TilRoquette » Wed Jul 30, 2003 12:07 pm

with the patch from the nice french guy cam2pc starts upon connecting my Canon PowerShot S45 via USB.

Hoever, the Option "Auto Download (no main dialogue)" does not work.

Any idea, anyone?
TilRoquette

Return to cam2pc