cam2pc 4.4 RC1 available

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

cam2pc 4.4 RC1 available

Postby nabocorp » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:06 pm

Hello,

the first release candidate is ready. Mainly feedback on RAW support has been taken into account and things have been redesigned. Here are the changes from beta 2:
    * Menu and toolbar clean-up
    * Added default raw white balance option
    * Change default raw white balance to camera for less color cast
    * Aperture was not displayed in Details view (and not stored properly in database)
    * Added histogram display in browser's preview (right-click in preview window)
    * SW: Redesigned Develop RAW dialog
    * SW: Fixed 16-bit TIFF output for some RAW files
    * SW: Fixed EXIF display when selection is on a RAW file
As a reminder, here are the list of changes between beta 1 and beta 2:
    * For Canon cameras, WIA transfer should be avoided as THM files cannot be
    downloaded in WIA/PTP (known issue of Canon WIA drivers)
    * Fixed bug in Exif decoding where camera model was badly reported
    * Fixed bug in Exif editing where only first modification was taken into account
    * Fixed 100% CPU when browsing a folder with lots of subfolders and no images in it
    * Added possibility to switch between inches and millimeters in print wizard
    * Print wizard parameters are now better saved between sessions
    * Updated Canon downloader to use latest Canon SDK (non-EOS and EOS cameras)
    * Added possibility to view Exif data in THM files attached to movies
    * Fixed RAW image decoding that would produce sometimes corrupted images
    * SW: Added possibility to add comments to movie files (through THM file)
    * SW: Fixed error when uploading at the root of a webserver
    * SW: Fixed error when running invalid program at download time
If you do not plan to report bugs when beta testing then we should advise you NOT to download this beta : beta software is by definition unstable and may fail under any circumstance. It is higly recommended to backup your data before installing this beta version of cam2pc. Of course, as for released versions, nabocorp cannot be held responsible for any data loss or any consequence of a data loss so beware!

The big features of this release are:
    :arrow: New faster and more robust thumbnail database
    :arrow: Support for RAW files
    :arrow: Floating EXIF information panel
    :arrow: Possibility to run any program at transfer time
    :arrow: Enhanced red-eye removal
And here is the almost complete list of changes:
    * New thumbnail database for faster refreshes
    * Added RAW image support (Canon, Nikon, Minolta, Olympus, Fuji, Sony, Kodak, Foveon...)
    * Advanced renaming now keeps an history of used masks
    * Attached files (sound, thumbnail files...) are renamed the same as the image during transfer
    * Added new renaming switch to extract substring of original filename (%{substr:start:length})
    * Most image functions do not modify file dates anymore
    * Added floating panel displaying EXIF info
    * SW: Some image functions are now directly accessible at the album level
    * SW: If you enhance an image that it is the album, cam2pc can replace the old version with the new one
    * SW: cam2pc can now remembers files downloaded from the camera and does not download them again
    * SW: Added possibility to run any program during transfer (at two different steps)
    * SW: Sending mail now works with Mozilla Thunderbird (and supposedly some more MAPI mail clients)
    * SW: RAW images can be developed ajusting gamma, brightness and other parameters (16-bit output supported)
    * SW: Offline contents now sorted by volume name in tree
    * SW: Easier to use and more efficient red-eye removal

To avoid that people run beta instable software as their every day software, this beta will expire sometime beginning of October. Hopefully a new beta or the final version will be released before this expiration date.

And now for the download links:
[REMOVED AS FINAL VERSION IS AVAILABLE]

Please post any feedback in this thread.

Regards,
nabocorp
Last edited by nabocorp on Sun Sep 12, 2004 11:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
nabocorp
Site Admin

FTP upload error after web gallery creation

Postby samyterje » Sun Aug 29, 2004 5:50 pm

Hello

With an empty site folder (it means root of the distant FTP server), i've got the following error message at the end of the upload.

"Could not change the root directory to the one specified. Do you want to check your settings and retry"

if I click yes, i have FTP settings with test button working
if I ckick no, process is ending but all upload files are ok on the distant FTP server

Certainly a little thing to fix

Thx and long life to this terrific software
Sam
samyterje

Premier essai Canon 300D

Postby philoustetou » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:41 pm

Bonjour,
Bravo tout d'abord pour cam2pc............
- Les vignettes RAW s'affichent correctement mais en double cliquant sur les vignettes, l'affichage plein écran est aléatoire, affichage correct mais avec une dénaturation importante de la photo (couleurs saturées) ou écran blanc avec pixels mauves epars.
- les exif en raw sont limités à orientation, date, marque, modèle et dimension d'image (pas de données de prise de vues)
Quelques photos d'écran: (forte compression)
http://philippe.souquieres.free.fr/Capture1.jpg
http://philippe.souquieres.free.fr/Capture3.jpg
http://philippe.souquieres.free.fr/Capture2.jpg
Bon courage
philoustetou

Bug / Feature Request

Postby Jem » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:49 am

Print Wizard:

On the first window of the Print Wizard, paper sizes are listed with measurements in mm / inches, where appropriate. However on the next window, photo sizes are only selectable in inches, regardless of any other Regional / Printer settings, which have no effect. Can we change this please, so that mm / cm are selectable by user preference?

Custom photo size (Print Wizard):

When using a custom size, should we not have a 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' function? Also, as the user is presented with a print image preview, what about a resize option using 'Grab Handles' on the image itself - this would be a nice touch.

Thanks.
Jem

Re: Bug / Feature Request

Postby nabocorp » Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:40 am

Jem wrote:On the first window of the Print Wizard, paper sizes are listed with measurements in mm / inches, where appropriate. However on the next window, photo sizes are only selectable in inches, regardless of any other Regional / Printer settings, which have no effect. Can we change this please, so that mm / cm are selectable by user preference?

On the first window, paper names are extracted from the printer driver so cam2pc does not do anyhting to display in or mm. On the second page, the unit is taken from the translation: if you use the french package, units will be mm for instance. But it is true that this should only dictate the default unit and the user should be able to swicth to another metrics system. Will look into it.

Jem wrote:When using a custom size, should we not have a 'Maintain Aspect Ratio' function? Also, as the user is presented with a print image preview, what about a resize option using 'Grab Handles' on the image itself - this would be a nice touch.

Maintain aspect ratio is always on when printing in cam2pc. There is NO way to break the aspect ration and never will be. For the grab handles that's a nice idea. Not sure I will do it for 4.4 but should add this to my todo list.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Jem » Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:43 pm

Ok, that's fine. If you look at Photoshop, for example, you can switch between inches, cm, mm, points and picas, regardless of language or any other defaults.

Thanks for your reply,
Jem
Jem

Postby skeeterfood » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:29 pm

Viewing Nikon D70 NEF files introduces a CONSIDERABLE color cast to all images. For example, here's the same NEF image viewed in Nikon View (left) and cam2pc (right). The Nikon View version is how things actually looked.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the fact that I can now use cam2pc to download my NEF files from the camera, but I'd really love to be able to uninstall Nikon View from my machine. :D
skeeterfood

E-Mail Problems with Thunderbird

Postby Jem » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:10 pm

Don't know about other e-mail clients, but if I try to send images using the 'Attach Images As They Are' option to my default e-mail client (Thunderbird) I get no images attached, just a 'dummy folder' attached to the T.Bird 'Compose' window. Using the other options seems to work OK.

Jem
Jem

More testing with E-Mail...

Postby Jem » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:22 pm

Just tested some more - 'Attach Images as they are' works OK with Outlook Express but NOT with Thunderbird...

Jem
Jem

Bug causing crash

Postby Jem » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:09 am

Right click on folder in the 'folder view', choose 'Delete Directory' - causes cam2pc to crash and exit.

Jem
Jem

Postby nabocorp » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:41 am

Does this happen every time? Just tried it and no crash for me.

nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Slide show

Postby Teaman » Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:48 am

Using beta 2 shareware version

I've got the display of Exif information enabled. If transitions are also enabled then randomly (ie not on the same pictures each time) the Exif info does not display. It is not affected by the delay between slides.

Feature request: I run dual monitors (or monitor and data projector) and it would be brilliant to be able to choose the monitor for fullscreen view or slideshow display rather than defaulting to monitor 1.

This program is just so much better than the others I have tried!
Teaman

Postby Michael » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:23 am

Using 4.4 b2

Sometimes (!) cam2pc closes when it has to display AVI. It just disappears without error message. I couldn't see this behaviour in 4.3 neither in b1 (not so shure because I only used it 1 day)
Michael

Attn: NABOCORP - Folder Delete Crashes

Postby Jem » Fri Sep 03, 2004 10:29 am

Ok, did some more testing:

The problem seems to occur if the folder is on a different physical drive. If I accept the default cam download destination i.e My Pictures and then delete the new subfolder created by the download - no problem.

If I set the default destination as my picture backup folder on my D: drive, the download works OK, but if I then delete the folder on that drive from within cam2pc I get the crash. If I also create a new folder on the D: drive from within cam2pc and then delete it I also get a crash.

Hope this sheds some light....

Did you check out the problem (above) that I've been having with Thunderbird e-mails...??

Regards,
Jem
Jem

Postby nabocorp » Fri Sep 03, 2004 4:17 pm

skeeterfood wrote:Viewing Nikon D70 NEF files introduces a CONSIDERABLE color cast to all images. For example, here's the same NEF image viewed in Nikon View (left) and cam2pc (right). The Nikon View version is how things actually looked.

skeeterfood, can you send me this sample image in NEF format to info at nabocorp.com. if you get a message too big error, it would be great if you could put in on some webspace and send me the URL.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Next

Return to cam2pc