Suggestion: more consistent context menus

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Suggestion: more consistent context menus

Postby jstartin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:34 pm

This is a minor design issue, but one that has been annoying me rather. The context menus for thumbnails and for fullscreen view have many common items, but in very different places. "Edit with", for example, is near the top of one but low down on the other; similarly for "Enhance". Could you consider rationalising a bit so that slow learners like me can find what we want more easily.

Still a great application though.
jstartin

Postby nabocorp » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:35 pm

Hello,

I will try to do a few things in 4.4 but I try to follow the rule that the most useful choices should be at the top of a contextual menu. And the most useful choices really depend on what you are doing. Therefore the top items in the thumbnails contextual menu can't be the same as the top items of the fullscreen contextual menu.

Anyway, I tried at least to make the entries appear in the same order everywhere: in 4.4 Enhance should be after Edit in every menu they both appear, and they both appear after rotation stuff. I also tied up the menus and removed entries that do not make a lot of sense in a contextual menu.

Hope this will help you!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby jstartin » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:43 pm

nabocorp wrote: I try to follow the rule that the most useful choices should be at the top of a contextual menu. And the most useful choices really depend on what you are doing. Therefore the top items in the thumbnails contextual menu can't be the same as the top items of the fullscreen contextual menu.

Thanks for considering this. It is a very minor useability issue and I can see some sense in your design rule. But what is most useful depends on the aims of the user and I imagine this is enormously varied. For example, I don't think I have ever wanted to start a slide show from the full screen view context menu, so for me the top item here is not useful at all!

Just for your information my own my "workflow" is usually to look at each new image full screen in cam2pc and from there either to use cam2pc's native enhancement options or to launch an external application for editing, if I decide this is desirable. Frequently, but less often, I will make a note of what I need to do from full screen review of a collection of images, and then select images for editing from the thumbnails. Hence my occasional irritation with having "Edit with" etc at opposite ends of the context menus.

I suppose the only way to suit every different user's ideal would be to have user customisable menus............
jstartin

Postby nabocorp » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:46 pm

jstartin wrote:I suppose the only way to suit every different user's ideal would be to have user customisable menus............

Agreed! Along with customizable keyboard shortcuts. But that is another story and probably requires a lot of development. I cannot think of that many softwares that do offer this (appart from MS Office).

Photosop gave it a try in Photoshop CS I think but last time I tried to use it was not convincing at all!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby jstartin » Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:27 pm

I think this has been requested before, but as you have just mentioned it a facility to define a key combination to launch my choice of external editor would ceetainly make me very happy indeed!
jstartin

Return to cam2pc