Ignore(all) previous copied pictures

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Ignore(all) previous copied pictures

Postby Scheueer » Thu Aug 05, 2004 6:52 am

Hi, cam2pc ist the best utilitly for my digicam,
but one thing is missing.
When copying files from compactflash to the PC I always will ask, if i will overwrite my previous files, which i have copied before.
Their is only a botton for disagree file by file.

A nice function can, to put in the popup window, not only the button
to ignore this file by file, but rather a botton like "ignore all".
So only the newest picture will be copied, and the the older once can be used as "backup" on the compact flash.
-> Copying will e realy done automaticly, and more quicker than now.

Is this possible ?

Jochen
Scheueer

Postby nabocorp » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:03 pm

That is an ofen requested feature. Will look into it for next version.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby nabocorp » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:06 pm

Hello,

this has been added as a global option available in the shareware version. You can see it in the 4.4 beta. Go to Options then Misc. Transfer options.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Wally » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:58 am

Nabocorp,

Your solution to this problem will not work if you are downloading from more than one camera which may have the same filenames even if you try to download to a different directory. Why not just add a "Skip All Duplicates" button to the file already exists dialog box? I've been waiting more that two and a half years for a fix to this common downloading problem and it's the only thing that keeps me from buying or recommending your program.

Wally
Wally

Postby nabocorp » Fri Oct 01, 2004 7:51 am

Hello,

the way this is implemented is that a file is considered already transfered if a file with the same name, capture date and file size has already been transfered. This is unlikely to happen with two different cameras...
However this forces you to download pictures from different cameras to different folders because of name conflict.

If you think a "Skip all duplicates" is still needed and as I do not want to do resources update in 4.4.x patches, I propose to do the following for 4.4.3: if you hold Shift while clicking on No in he "file already exists" dialog then this will perform a No to All.

The next real version of cam2pc could have a "No to all" button.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Wally » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:40 am

Nabocorp,

Thanks for the reply. Since the filenames in the destination directory are already checked on the fly if a match is found why not check the date, time, and size also and if they match skip the file? If the filename matches but not the date, time, or size then give the user a choice to Skip, Overwrite or Rename the file. This method will allow you to make multiple copies to different directories or drives of the same files which the current "Keep a list of already copied files" does not.

Keep the "Do no download already copied files" selection in your Option->Transfer->Misc screen and if enabled no user intervention would be required in most cases.

Another thing I would like to see is a simple status screen at the end of the transfer showing the number of files to be copied, the number of files actually copied and the number of files skipped. This status can be a choice in "And then" part of the transfer screen.

For the time being, your suggestion of a Shift while clicking on No in he "file already exists" dialog would be appreciated.

Wally
Wally

Return to cam2pc