Can I do this?

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Can I do this?

Postby havanna » Tue Jul 27, 2004 10:37 pm

Can I do the following batch mask renaming with cam2pc: July 26, 2004 12:04am ?
havanna

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:18 am

You can't get exactly that formatting, but you can come close. Try this:

%a %d, %Y %h.%u

That gives you filenames like

July 26, 2004 12.04

There are only two differences to your desired formatting.
- You can't use a ":" to seperate hours from minutes, because the colon is reserved for drive letters in the file system. I use a dot instead
- cam2pc doesn't support the am/pm-time format, it always uses the 24-hour formatting.

To nabocorp:
When you enter a colon in the mask field of the batch rename dialog and hit "preview changes" some random error messages appear. Maybe it would be good to check for illegal charecters in filenames and view a explaining message box.

CU,
Tom
Tom

Postby nabocorp » Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:07 pm

This is when it starts to be good: when users know as much or even better how to use the software than you :-)

It's been a long time I have not been working on this part of cam2pc that I was almost going to answer no completly forgetting about %a !!!

About illegal characters you are right. A check should be added.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby havanna » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:20 pm

Thanks, the name change worked except it appears to have removed the file extension. What do I do now?
havanna

Postby Tom » Wed Jul 28, 2004 6:56 pm

sorry, I forgot to mention that you have to add a ".%e" to the renaming mask append the original file extension to the new filename. The full mask is then

%a %d, %Y %h.%u.%e

If your files are already renamed and you lost the extension, you can add the the extension ".jpg" by renaming your pictures again (But only those that lost their extension!!) with the folowing mask:

%f.jpg

By the way: the "%a" inserts only a three letter month name. If you want the full name to appear in the filename (i.e. "August" instead of "Aug") you would have to use "%M" (with a capital M) instead. That is:

%M %d, %Y %h.%u.%e

But I recommend that you repair the file extensions first before you try this mask. ;-)

And to nabocorp:

Haha, thanks! :) But actually, I don't know all the abbreviations by heart, I just used the Arrow-button next to the mask field together with the very useful "preview changes" function.

CU,
Tom
Tom

Postby havanna » Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:36 pm

Perfect! Thanks so very, very much!
havanna

Return to cam2pc