Feat.req: EXIF camera orientation not supported

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Feat.req: EXIF camera orientation not supported

Postby matsekberg » Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:42 am

If I rotate a jpeg by changing the camera orientation, the thumbnail and image still displays as landscape if it was rotated to portrait.
This is an important tag that should be supported.
matsekberg

Postby witdem » Sat Jul 24, 2004 1:02 pm

Hello,

Cam2Pc recognises the orientation tag when transferring images. It gives you the option to rotate the pictures based on the oientation tag.

Maarten
witdem

Re: Feat.req: EXIF camera orientation not supported

Postby nabocorp » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:06 am

matsekberg wrote:If I rotate a jpeg by changing the camera orientation, the thumbnail and image still displays as landscape if it was rotated to portrait.
This is an important tag that should be supported.

Hello,

the normal way to rotate an image is to use the manual rotate functions or the auto-transform one. Manually updating the Orientation tag in the EXIF data is used to force a specific value and therefore does not change anything in the image.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby gdp2000 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 12:01 pm

That's not right. The software should "virtually rotate" the image from the information in the exif data. An example what I mean is Photoshop ALbum 2.0.

And this is the only reason for me not to register. There should at least be an option, to let the user decide, if he wants his pictures virtually rotated or not.

bye
gdp2k
gdp2000

Postby angel6700 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:08 pm

[quote="gdp2000"]That's not right. The software should "virtually rotate" the image from the information in the exif data. An example what I mean is Photoshop ALbum 2.0.

And this is the only reason for me not to register. There should at least be an option, to let the user decide, if he wants his pictures virtually rotated or not.
[/quote]

I think that if the rotation is lossless, a "real" rotation is the same that a "virtual" one. Usually one wants to see always the image in correct orientation. Anyway, the CTRL-Arrow shortcut is not too complicated to rotate an image.

Regards.

Angel.
Last edited by angel6700 on Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angel6700

Postby nabocorp » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:35 pm

gdp2000 wrote:That's not right. The software should "virtually rotate" the image from the information in the exif data. An example what I mean is Photoshop ALbum 2.0.

I admit this this was hard for me to decide. There are some drawbacks to "virtually" rotate thumbnails and images: if you do this, you will never know if an image needs to be rotated or not and therefore you will never do it and therefore will experience the following things:
- if you open a picture in another program your image will not appear rotated and this can be confusing for some users
- the loading time in cam2pc (and any other software) will be slightly increased because each image should be rotated before being displayed. this will make cam2pc a little less responsive which is not the case: thumbnail creation will be slower, the browser's preview will be slower and of course the fullscreen viewer will be slower...

Without the auto-rotate feature at transfer time, my typical workflow would be to transfer all the pictures, open the first one fullscreen and watch them all fullscreen. As soon as I see an image which needs rotation I simply hit Ctrl-Left or Ctrl-Right (these shortcuts also work in the fullscreen viewer) and the image gets rotated (also on disk). This has proved to be a quick way of dealing with this issue.

But still, I agee that a global setting ("virtually rotate") could be added and perform as you want. You'll have to wait for the next version to see it though.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby gdp2000 » Tue Sep 14, 2004 5:03 pm

First of all thanks for the fast reply.

Second... Sorry for my bad english. I'll try my best.

nabocorb wrote:you will never know if an image needs to be rotated or not

I had the same problem, when I was testing Photoshop Album, not knowing if the picture is "virtually" rotated. The rotaded pictures should be marked as "virtually" or "physically" rotaded anywhere in the ui.

nabocorb wrote:the loading time in cam2pc (and any other software) will be slightly increased because each image should be rotated before being displayed. this will make cam2pc a little less responsive which is not the case

I don't think, that this will drastically reduce overall performance. I don't know if you already cache the thumbnails. But you could cache them already transformed. In fullscrenn you could use the time while displaing a picture calculate the rotation for the next.

My last request is a better naming of the "orientation tag" in the EXIF Data. When you do not want to use Icons you could rename 8 "Rotate -90°" for example.

bye
gdp2k
gdp2000

Return to cam2pc