Edit with XXX limits the number of files

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Edit with XXX limits the number of files

Postby mikkon@nm-sol.com » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:46 pm

When I select about 50 files, and try to use the Edit with XXX command, cam2pc gives the following error message:

An error occurred while running the application.

I am using a custom application (not a real image editor). I am trying to use cam2pc to select files that I want my application to work on. I typically need to select large numbers of files (hundreds, sometimes even thousands).

This problem occurs because cam2pc seems to restrict the command-line passed to the external program to 2048 characters. I have tested my program that it accepts much longer command-lines. Cam2pc should not impose such a limit, but allow arbitrary-length command-lines instead (malloc'ing as necessary). As far as I know, CreateProcess() doesn't limit the length of the command-lines it can handle (CMD.EXE does).

And while I'm at it, may I suggest some more improvements to the external image editor functionality:

1. When there are more than 1 image editors, show them on the context menu the same way as 1 image editor. Now a new sub-menu is created. This is confusing if someone gets used to the selection being directly on the context-menu, and adding a new external program forces him to change his habits. At least make an option for this.

2. Hotkeys for external image editors. If it's too difficult to make the hotkeys user-selectable, keys like 1, 2, 3, etc. seem to be free.

3. Possibility to pass filenames to the external programs in standard-input instead of on command-line (one filename per line). This would make it easier to launch scripts (awk/perl/etc) from cam2pc, and would be a nice workaround for cases where the command-line length is limited.
mikkon@nm-sol.com

Return to cam2pc