Solution to stop freezing problems!

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Solution to stop freezing problems!

Postby masterjp » Sun Jun 20, 2004 3:19 pm

Hi,
I am using cam2pc 4.3.4 (freeware edition) and the german language pack. Many times I got freezing problems with cam2pc. Now it works fine!
Here you find some possible reasons for crashing cam2pc e.g. during directory browsing.

1. Uninstall older cam2pc versions before you want to update your cam2pc version :!: (Very important)

2. Use the latest language pack with cam2pc :!:

3. If you got problems, test the same situation with the english language pack to compare the behaviour of the program :!:

Greets

masterjp
masterjp

Postby hhecq » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:57 am

I will try your proposition to see if it works with 4.3.4 (my last install 4.3.4 is hanging).

I have to say I was quite happy with cam2pc upto version 4.3.0 (there were always crashes but you know...).
The latest versions are all hanging (a new form of crash I suppose).

I don't see any answer of nabocorp about these problems even in the form of a workaround.

If it fails, I will use only cam2pc to download the photos, I have other tools to browse or edit my photos.
hhecq

Postby nabocorp » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:53 am

Hello,

when are these freezes happening? One optimization added in 4.3.3 was done to load JPEG images faster than before. Maybe this is the cause. I'll see if I can release a new release with the option to disable this faster loading.

But please give me details about those freezes you experience.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Freezes in 4.3.4

Postby olli » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am

Hi,

I've seen quite a lot of these crashes, too. Sent an automated bug report some timers, hope they'll help to identify the problem.

In fact, I switched back to 4.3.0 since everything later is more or less unstable.

Anyway, keep up the good job!

oliver
olli

Postby hhecq » Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:58 pm

To masterjp:
I've tested your proposition to avoid the hanging/freezing of cam2pc when browsing, it fails.
After uninstall of 4.3.0, I install 4.3.4 and customize all the settings (There are a lot of things in the option dialog).
After the download of a test picture, I just clic on the name of another folder to go there: cam2pc was frozen, no cpu activity, only thing to do: kill the app.
As said before, i installed back 4.3.0 and it is running fine.

To nabocorp:

The freezes happens when I try to change of folder clicking in the up-left window on another folder. Nothing happen, the wait cursor is there. If you try to close cam2pc, it tells "ne réponds pas" on Win XP Pro SP1A french. When you start again cam2pc, it goes in the newly selected folder. If you try to change the folder, It hangs again... I've never got that problem in 4.3.0 but well in 4.3.3 and 4.3.4. I've not tested 4.3.1 or 2.
hhecq

Postby nabocorp » Fri Jun 25, 2004 1:59 pm

Does this happen always on the same images or does it appear random? If it always on the same images then it might be that the JPEG optimizations I am talking about are buggy.

I might need your help to test alpha releases with this JPEG stuff disabled...

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby hhecq » Fri Jun 25, 2004 3:01 pm

It does NOT happen on an image as I can see the one that are in the current folder: I can browse the current directory without any problem.

The problem is when I change the current directory to another one: I never get there. But, if I start cam2pc again, it starts in the last folder (the one that I did not access just before) and there is no problem.

It should be nice if some other folks with exactly the same problem as me raise their arms...

If you want to send me the link to a test version, no problem.
hhecq

Postby nursoda » Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:58 pm

nabocorp wrote:I might need your help to test alpha releases with this JPEG stuff disabled...

As I cannot use 4.3.4 (takes VERY long to load, now (after havin used it for some days) always freezes), I am happy to test anything that might work. Also, I would appreciate if you could make the 4.3.0 release available again for people experiencing problems: I wasn't using cam2pc by the time it was the current release so I don't have it. Thanx
nursoda

Postby jgl » Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:50 pm

I use the English version.
First I did not uninstall the 4.0.1 version when installing 4.3.4.
However after experiencing first freezes I installed 4.3.4 and re-installed it. Still freezes in at least these situations:

- as described by the others when changing current browse directory,
- when trying to change view mode (redisplaying current directory)
- after rotating images. Yes, you can select multiple images, then click rotate, the progress bar appears. The thumb nails rotate in the (now background) view window. When the progress dialog disappears the prog freezes with directory view window in the foreground.

I already disabled thumbnail caching and exif thumbs.
jgl

Postby mikkon@nm-sol.com » Wed Jun 30, 2004 5:27 pm

I am experiencing the exact same kind of freezes as hhecq describes. I am using the latest version 4.3.4 (registered). I am not sure what my previous version was, but I have a feeling that it didn't hang so often (didn't use cam2pc so much).

As with hhecq, my problem doesn't always happen with the same set of files. After the hang, I get back to the hanging directory, and it shows just fine.

The hangs have happened both in thumbnail view and in details view. I have disabled the "Show EXIF thumbnails" option.
mikkon@nm-sol.com

Postby nabocorp » Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:43 am

Hello,

4.3.5 has been released which, hopefully, fixes some of these freezes you are experiencing...

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Return to cam2pc