Canon RAW Support

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Canon RAW Support

Postby jan.jedryka » Sat May 15, 2004 5:36 am

When will Cam2pc display Canon RAW and CRW files please?

This would make cam2pc THE Dream Browser for me. As it is I continually sing it's praises and recommend it's features. I would like to do that uneqivocable on Canon DSL forums - or is that a challenge? :)

Jan
jan.jedryka

Postby martin10018 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:41 am

Any news on this one?

I would be very interested too...
martin10018

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:00 am

This is definitely on my todo list. I am currently trying to stabilize cam2pc: a new 4.3.x will be released soon fixing more bugs.

RAW support (at least display) will be in a next version.

What are your expectations as regards to RAW support in cam2pc?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby martin10018 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:41 am

Display would fine, but up to the full res.
martin10018

Canon RAW Support

Postby jan.jedryka » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:49 am

The beauty of this software is the large amount of things that it can do quickly. If RAW support slows and bloats if - forget it. But it would be nice to import your RAW files see them and then change them to TIFF.
jan.jedryka

Postby nabocorp » Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:25 pm

Hello,

my camera does not do RAW. But as far as I understand converting RAW to TIFF is useless unless you can adjust a whole hell of parameters like the RAW Photoshop plugin does. Am I right?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby wireball » Thu Jun 03, 2004 9:57 pm

You're correct about all the parameter adjustments that would have to be made. That being said, an upgrade to include Minolta raw files (MRW) would be nice. :D
wireball

Postby skeeterfood » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:26 am

Here's what I'd like to see it do at a minimum:
1) Handle Nikon D70 NEF, including the fact that Nikon NEFs store the ISO in a non-standard place
2) Keep all the downloading features currently available for JPEGs
3) Display NEF (understanding that it will be slower than JPEG) including thumbnails
4) Handle renaming from EXIF info just like JPEGs

Like to haves:
1) Convert to ... (JPEG being most important)

You'll never be able to handle RAW editing as well as Photoshop or Nikon Capture, so I'd suggest you don't bother trying. As long as I can get the NEFs onto my harddrive using the organization I want, which cam2pc is GREAT at, then convert them to JPEGs and enhance them for upload to my webspace I'll be happy. For web-sized pictures I don't need all the RAW options (assuming I didn't screw up the white-balance, or something like that), just a quick-and-dirty convert to JPEG using the parameters saved with the RAW file in-camera.

BTW, in case you haven't seen it, there is a free open-source RAW converter called dcraw available at http://www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/. Hopefully it can help jumpstart your work.
skeeterfood

Postby nabocorp » Thu Jun 17, 2004 9:16 am

Hello,

I know this one and I already started integrating it in cam2pc :D

I already added the RAW format in the image loading framework but integrating in cam2pc requires a little bit more work : until today all the read image formats could be read and saved which is not the case with RAW format. So for instance you can't rotate a RAW picture or resize in batch specifying save in the same format as input and this kind of stuff... I'll have to look into this.

As soon as I have something that can be shown I'll keep you informed in this thread.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Return to cam2pc