Kodak DX3600 - No files found

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Kodak DX3600 - No files found

Postby Jan Paul » Sun May 02, 2004 9:20 am

Hi,

I am using an Kodak DX3600.
The camera gets recognized by Windows XP (Home edition).
I have assosiated the camera action in Windows with camp2pc.

Can someone help me here, becuase I cannot use cam2pc to transfer the pictures from the camera.

Cam2pc wizard recognized the camera an uses WIA/PTP method. When I press Tranfer-List files, the 'no files found' messages pops up.
There are pics on the camera though.
When I browse the camera through windows, there are files on the camera. When I activate the Windows picture handler, these files are copied to my images directory correctly.
The only thing there is: when I browse the picture through Windows, all files do not have any filename, but according to Microsoft, this should be ok. This is the normal way of the Windows camera handler.

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby Jan Paul » Mon May 03, 2004 2:28 pm

Nabocorp wrote about 4.3.1: [...] WIA/PTP transfer is broken...

Reinstalling 3.4.0 fixed the problem. My images now are getting transferred.

When a MOV file is on the camara, camp2c generates an error though (I send the error report to you).
When I move the MOV files manually and then retry the image download, everything is ok.

Another thing is that when rotating a picture, all EXIF information is lost. No loseless JPEG actions are possible.

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby nabocorp » Mon May 03, 2004 8:42 pm

Hello,

sorry I do not have a Kodak camera so for me it is hard to test. I can tell you that downloading movies from my Canon camera works though. The breaking of WIA/PTP transfer was introduced while fixing a bug in the transfer code. Hopefully the 4.3.2 will solve all the problems!

As for the loss of the Exif information, can you please send me by mail a picture so I can reproduce this and maybe fix the issue?

Thanks,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Jan Paul » Tue May 04, 2004 6:58 am

Hi,

I have send you a picture an information via email.

The lossless EXIF loss is only on the Kodak images. I have also a Sony camera, the lossless transformations work ok on those files.

Thanks,
Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Postby nabocorp » Tue May 04, 2004 9:23 pm

Hello,

I have investigated the lossless EXIF stuff and here is the result:

Kodak pictures are 1800x1200. Their JPEG block size is 16x16. It is a fact that JPEG images can be losslessly transformed only if the width can be divided by the block size width and their height can be divided by their block size height. But 1800 cannot be divided by 16: the result is 112,5. That's why cam2pc tells you that it cannot perform a lossless transformation.

Now as you stated in your private mail, Irfanview does this lossless tranformation. So how is it possible? I took the picture, loaded it in Irfanview and perform 4 lossless 90° rotations, theoritically going back to the original image. I then loaded the pictures in Paint Shop Pro and used the Image Arithmetic substraction between the original picture and the one rotated 4 times. And the result is that those two images ARE different. So no Irfanview is NOT doing a lossless transformation.

The last thing is that at least Irfanview keeps the metadata. On that one I have to agree. In fact it is a bug as cam2pc is supposed to keep the EXIF data but it does not work. All what is needed is already in place to do this it is just that it does not work. But this should be easy to fix and will be included in 4.3.2.

There are a few camera makers that do this error of creating images that cannot be losslessly transformed and that's a shame. Sony is probably not doing it. In the case of Kodak, there is nothing wrong with outputing 1800x1200 images as long as you keep their JPEG block size to 8x8 and not 16x16!!!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Jan Paul » Tue May 04, 2004 9:55 pm

Hi,

WOW! That's indeep investigations. I did no know so much could come from so small a question.

I have looked further also, and when I do a improvement of the picture within camp2pc and then do a rotation, the exif information is beeing kept. Only the quick buttons on the commandbar are not keeping exif information.
So maybe (as you state) it is a bug. Lets see in the 4.3.2 version if this is fixed :wink:.

Thanks for taking the time to look into this. Great work!

Jan Paul
Jan Paul

Return to cam2pc