Bugreport in renaming process

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Bugreport in renaming process

Postby leon_oud » Fri Feb 07, 2003 2:19 pm

Love the program, especially the flexibility of the renaming utility :D .
You can even have the program create seperate subdirectories by date in one go. (e.g. %Y\%m -> 2002\11 , 2002\12)

There is only one bug I encounter :( . If there is any file other than the filetypes known by cam2pc AND the option to get a date from every file is on in the directorynaming section, cam2pc crashes bigtime (the usual windows has...) when doing the rename. I work on W2K sp3.

A suggestion for workaround: have the program rename everything it can, then come whith a popup for each file it could not automatically rename for manual rename. Something like this:
| [Rename and next] [Skip] [Skip all remaining] |
|_________________________________________________________|

Hope this helps in creating the perfect alround download and renaming program.

Léon
leon_oud

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 6:40 pm

I agree. Some cameras allow you to capture .avi files, and the program crashes when it encounters these on the flash card. I really want to use the program, but can't because of this problem.
Trymor

Postby nabocorp » Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:01 pm

Did you try version 3.1 ??
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:21 pm

Again, you are fast..... within an hour of my posts, out comes a new version to fix the problem!

Yes, .avi downloading works now, at least from a flash card used on a Canon s230.

Issue: the 'enter discription dialog' date defaults to 1980 for .avi files if the program is set to ask for folder description on download. Perhaps you could make it default to todays date if the program can't read a date from the file.

Also, my camera saves stupid .thm files for each .avi file. I don't suppose you could make an option to delete (discard?) these on download?

Thanks again!
Trymor
Trymor

Postby nabocorp » Fri Mar 21, 2003 10:25 pm

The issue you describe maybe comes from a bug or because your camera does not set the date properly on avi files. My camera produces MOV files with the right date and everything works fine.

For your .thm sorry not much I can do for the moment!

Regards,
nabocorp

PS: Rest assured 3.1 was not developed this afternoon because of your posts on the forums :-) It is a 3 month development effort that just happened to end today!
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby Trymor » Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:13 pm

It seams my camera sets the date fine on .avi files. If I look at the file date in Windows explorer, or the properties for the file in cam2pc browser, while it is still on the card, it shows todays date.

Does cam2pc try to get the date from the EXIF data? If so, I don't believe that .avi files are capable of containing that data, at least not on my camera.

The .avi files do not get renamed at all like the pictures. Do your .mov files get renamed?

As for the .thm problem, I know this would require more code, and a new revision of the program, but just incase you were thinking about it for next version, you have my vote for some sort of selection dialog, or perhaps option to manually select file types and how to treat them.

P.S. Great job, good timing ;) keep up the good work! I realize programs can't be made to cover all the options of how all the different people would like to use a program, but we appriciate all the work you do! Thanks!

Trymor
Trymor

Postby nabocorp » Sat Mar 22, 2003 7:42 am

Hello,

no cam2pc is not supposed to look for EXIF date in movies but maybe it does so. I'll check this!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Return to cam2pc