Solution to USB Camera Autoplay Problems

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Solution to USB Camera Autoplay Problems

Postby NACarter » Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:58 am

I thought I would start a new thread for this one as the question appears at least a couple of times. If your Windows XP no longer recognises the switch on of a USB camera (using Cam2PC's event handling) then download and run Microsoft's AutoFix.exe. More details can be found here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/deta ... laylang=en

Nick

P.S. I haven't quite fixed my setup yet. Running AutoFix now runs the event handler within XP, but it opens an Explorer window rather than allowing me to choose the Cam2PC handler. I tried PowerToy TweakUI to try to reset it but I can't get it to go back to "ask me every time". Any ideas?
NACarter

Same result...

Postby Number3 » Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:44 pm

I tried your microsoft patch... Found that some settings in the userprofile where broken, repaired them. :lol:
BUT I got the same result as you did. It opens an explorer window now, not the Image Downloader. :(

I tried TweakUI to reset the handler, but that didn't work. :evil:
I tried setting it manually via System Properities -> Hardware -> etc. :twisted:

No result, I am not prepared to give up, since I have installed this software on several machines at other locations where it works a GREAT. So what is so screwed up on my machine that it does no longer work. :roll:

I ran the AutoFix program again, made sure that everything worked, tested the auto event handler. It worked as it should.
:idea: Then I had a thought, what if there needs to be an picture on the camera... Well, I made a picture, reconnected the camera, and guess what. After reconnecting it should the event handler pick list!! That was it, it opened and empty explorer because there was nothing on the memory card!! 8)

So I picked the cam2pc option, checked the box... And now it works again. :D :D :D

Thanks for finding the AutoFix program, that did the trick for me...

L8r,
Robert
Number3

Postby nabocorp » Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:55 pm

Good news that they are some way to fix this. Windows XP seems a bit screwed up...

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby NACarter » Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:34 pm

Glad to hear it worked for you Robert in the end. My system, however, is still playing up. I had taken a photo with the camera before trying this as I suspected that it needed a file present. Interestingly, when I put a CD in the drive Cam2PC appears in the list of programs to run, but not when I turn on the camera - it just gives me an Explorer window. I suspect that this is nothing to do with Cam2PC, but with Windows. I was toying with the idea of re-installing my camera software to see if that "fixes" anything. What does anyone think?

Nick
NACarter

Postby Number3 » Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:23 pm

Nick,
Just a question, did you rerun the autofix with the camera turned on? And if so did you run the the autoplay test for the removable drive?

This way you can reset the settings for each drive that can autoplay, including the your camera. Once you get this far you can even reset your personal setting for each autoplay event.

This is the way I was able to reset my personal setting. Then I was able to launch with being able to select my own personal setting.

I also used TweakUI to see if the autoplay event handler was installed correctly for the cam2pc application. It should be in this list, and it should be enabled for digital images only.

When I finally turned on my camera after this (with image) it launched the autoplay dialog. It should say "Picture" as a type in this screen. Then I was able to select cam2pc event handler, I selected download images cam2pc event and checked always use this.

That fixed my problems...

I haven't looked in how it know that it is seeing pictures, but I bet it's a registery setting for extention or something like that. That might be an ultimate effort to try and fix your problem.

Hope this helps!

Robert :wink:
Number3

Postby NACarter » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:33 am

Thanks Robert for your detailed reply. I will certainly have another look at it with your suggestions to hand. I'll let you know how I get on.

Nick
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:44 am

Well, I did all that you suggested Robert, but still no change:
    Autofix ran without reporting any errors and made no changes;
    Right-clicking on the camera drive in My Computer and then Properties showed that Autoplay was set to prompt me each time for all content types, and Cam2PC was in the list of handlers;

But, when the camera is turned on a new Explorer window opens. Why won't it prompt me? I'm beginning to tear my hair out on this one! All the advice I've seen on the web says to reset the autoplay to prompt, which I've done. Somehow XP is ignoring that.

Nick
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Wed Feb 11, 2004 9:55 pm

Eureka! I've got it working. The solution was found in this group: http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=re: ... gbl&rnum=3

The one thing that this said to do that I hadn't done was to register the file SHIMGVW.DLL using REGSVR32 SHIMGVW.DLL in the Start->Run box.

Nick
NACarter

Finally...

Postby Number3 » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:35 pm

Hi Nick,
Glad to see that you finally found the setting that needed to be corrected... All in all the results of this tread should be in the FAQ :D
L8r,
Robert
Number3

Postby jpm1145 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:28 pm

I followed the ideas mentioned in this topic and I am finally getting a window that opens when I connect my Canon A60 but the window which
say Powershot A40, select program to launch with this action is empty.
Anyone know how to get cam2pc or zoombrowser to show in this window?
The properties of the camera only show a General and Color management tab.
Thanks
jpm1145

Postby NACarter » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:35 pm

Make sure that the correct handlers are chosen for the drive in question. With your camera turned on, and a picture on it, right-click on the drive in My Computer and choose Properties. Then go to the Autoplay tab.

I think that's right - it's from memory, as I haven't got my camera with me at the moment.

Nick
NACarter

Postby jpm1145 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:38 pm

The properties only show a General and Color Management tab.
jpm1145

Postby NACarter » Sat Feb 21, 2004 6:41 pm

Is this something to do with Canon cameras? There is another version, or extra files, needed for Cam2PC to work with Canon cameras. Have you used this special version? Does your camera appear as a removable hard disk in My Computer?
NACarter

Postby jpm1145 » Sat Feb 21, 2004 7:03 pm

Thanks, yes I downloaded and installed both the program and the canon update.
The camera is displayed under Cameras and Scanners, no drive letter.
I can download pictures by bringing up Cam2pc or Zoombrowser and then
telling them to download the pictures, but I liked the autoplay feature.
jpm1145

Postby NACarter » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:02 pm

Sorry, my Fujifilm camera appears as a drive letter (it's USB), so I'm not sure whether your camera will work with Autoplay. Nice chatting anyway! :wink:
NACarter

Return to cam2pc