Enhance Image feature requests

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Enhance Image feature requests

Postby skeeterfood » Thu Jan 08, 2004 1:06 am

First of all I love the new borders feature! The new print dialog is also really nice, though I haven't tried printing yet, so I can't comment on the quality...

Of course I have a few suggestions for improvement :)
1) Move the Borders to it's own tool, it's kinda hidden where it is now
2) Add an option to specify an offset for the Inner Frame of a border (amount of pixels/percent to start inside the edge of the picture)
3) Add an option to add text, or a graphic watermark to the image for uploading to a website
4) Allow resizing and converting formats from within the Enhance Image dialog, otherwise you have to make the enhancements and save a temp file, then run resize/convert on that one for uploading to a website.

-John
skeeterfood

Postby nabocorp » Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:30 am

Hello,

here are my answers:

1) I have issues with this window size as it should fit in 800x600 and the way it is now it is really packed... So I'll have to redesign although I would like to avoid to have to go to a more classic stuff with menus and stuff because it is aimed to be simple...

2) Why not

3) This is related to 1... As soon as I have a new neat design I can add more stuff. The issue is keeping the balance between cam2pc Enhance Image and Photoshop...

4) Resizing is still the same issue. Converting is "integrated" as when you are prompted to save the file you can already change the save format in the save dialog. OK you do not see the target size but still.

The whole idea is Enhance is not Photoshop. So maybe I should keep enhance and develop a separate Image Editor application that would ship with cam2pc... Do not know yet which road I should take!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby kwatson » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:42 pm

Cam2pc is a great tool!

I have a couple feature requests for the Enhance Image tool.

For cropping:

1. Save the previous setting of "Aspect Ratio" and "Adjust selection to allow lossless cropping". If I set those for one picture, I'm going to use the same setting for all pictures in the rest of the session. Don't force me to reset the same values for every picture.

2. Allow the ability to set the absolute crop size. Or at least show what the current crop rectangle size is.

Regards,
Keith
kwatson

Postby Christian » Fri Jan 16, 2004 10:22 pm

Hi,

the cropping to an absolute size would be a great feature that I was just missing as well. I needed a picture with exact pixel sizes and found I couldn't do it in cam2pc!

Greetings

Christian
Christian

not a stand alone editor!

Postby ilgaspa » Wed Feb 18, 2004 9:46 am

I think cam2pc true power lies in the fact that it is little, quick and efficient. It has everything you need to enhance your images without having to install a stand alone tool. If i need to make "full power image editing" i use photoshop, nothing in the world can compete with it. But when i need only to quick fix mi pics, i open cam2pc and i know that i have every tool i need to do it in a single quick application.

For example when i go on holyday i take with me my cam and my laptop. I used to have only win95 and acesee on my laptop, as it is very old. When i found cam2pc i uninstalled acdsee istantly. The true power of cam2pc is that it has the features (only the useful ones) of acdsee6, fotocanvas and fotoangelo and the speed of a skyrocket, with a better interface and ease of use.

I think that spreading it in more modules and apps would only make it harder to use
ilgaspa

Postby nabocorp » Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:56 pm

Hello,

here is what has been added for upcoming 4.2:

- save of last used crop ration and lossless flag
- display of crop area size in pixel

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby jstartin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 2:27 pm

nabocorp wrote:The whole idea is Enhance is not Photoshop. So maybe I should keep enhance and develop a separate Image Editor application that would ship with cam2pc... Do not know yet which road I should take!

I think that keeping most image editing separate from Cam2pc is definitely the correct road. It integrates editing apps into its menus almost as though they are a native part of the program anyway. As someone who has just bought a licence for the shareware version, I think that the beauty of the program is that it handles getting images from the camera, renaming them, thumbnailing them and viewing them much more effectively, elegantly and quickly than any free or commercial alternative I have tried. Please, please, please, don't get tempted down the slow-loading bloatware path.

Having said that, since some basic enhancement facilities are there (and are useful) it would be good to see USM with control of the settings added to augment the parameterless Sharpen quickfix. Oh, and I would prefer boxes for direct entry of numbers as well as the sliders on appropriate enhancement dialogues. This would be especially important if you added USM where exact control of radius is useful (and the ability to set small, non-integer values).

A couple of other things that would not be too bloating and would be nice -

Searchable categories or keywords stored in the database.

It seems that the JPEG format includes space for a comment and that the Exif information that might be in the file includes space for another comment. Some various apps that I have used seem to have stored comments I have added into different fields. A facility to concatenate all of these comments and write the whole string into all the possible places would appeal.

It would also be useful to be able to take a few user selected bits of Exif info and add them automatically to the comment.

That is a long and rambling post - sorry. And thanks for an app that is vastly better than the pathetic "Album" offerings of the big name brands.
jstartin

Postby jan.jedryka » Mon May 03, 2004 4:31 pm

I agree that cam2pc should not be bloatware - I personally only want it for digital photos and prize speed, simplicity and exif info in a browser.

Cam2pc has a wonderful way of interfacing seamlessly with other programs so - hey KISS.

I can't resist asking for a feature improvement tho:
a variable degree picture rotation - so I can correct horizons.

Thanx.
jan.jedryka

new featurers

Postby wannerlaufer » Fri May 07, 2004 2:13 pm

yes I agree, dont overpower cma2pc with too many features.. if I want to use photoshop I ´ll do that.

and normally I don´t because of the time involved understanding the program how it works how to apply its features etc.

Cam2pc does almost 95 % of the work with my picture from the digicam...

The only thing I am sometimes missing is a feature to change the color temperature, some flash pics look too "blue" so sometimes I want to add a little more yellow to it etc. The program shipped with my Dimage 7 i Minolta does that...but everything else in that program is a nightmare....

So if you do find some time to add that little feature I will be even more happy...

Oh yes and something else: When you create a continous slideshow with a mp3 audiofile running as background sound, the slides run forever but the music from the mp3 stops when its over it does not repeat....

rather a fix than an upgrade I think....
wannerlaufer

Return to cam2pc