BUG: Advanced Filerename crashes...

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

BUG: Advanced Filerename crashes...

Postby Number3 » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:49 pm

I am very pleased :D with the new release of the product... Too bad you had to go shareware... :cry:

With the introduction of the new release I have a problem using advanced renaming from the image browser...

Everytime I rename a bunch of pictures based on the EXIF date & time to get similar filenames as when I am moving then the screen updates go crazy... and at the end after about 1/2 the renaming proces it crashes.

I use the detailmode in the image browser to view the details. I rename more than 20 images at a time normaly (I have noticed no problems when renaming a small number of pictures, say 2~8 or so). Then after about 20 screenupdates it normally crashes, with the following error:
Application Error (Window Caption). :evil:
The instruction at "0x0052113c" referenced memory at "0x<<varies>>".
The memory could not be "read". Then I need to click OK to trash the program.

Now I relaunch the program, guess what the renaming is already done. So it's very weird...

To me it looks like it updates after every renaming action, but as it turns out all files have been renamed. It must have something to do with the way you detect a file(name) change and how events follow it. I suggest you look at blocking the screen update code, before you rename the files, then afterwards update the screen contents just once...

This problem is very strange... :?

:idea: I have one feature request: Could you add the "Automatically append a number to avoid duplication" feature to the Image Browser, which you already have implemented in the image downloader... This would be useful, I rename all my files to %Y%m%d_%u%m%s.%e, however sometimes I cannot do this and I need to resort to %{num:3} (ugly, but it works!)...

Hope you fix the problem for the next release...
Later,
Number3
Number3

Postby nabocorp » Wed Dec 31, 2003 11:42 am

Can you try to disable the thumbnail caching in the Options > Image Browser to see if the crash still occurs?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

nope

Postby Number3 » Wed Dec 31, 2003 5:43 pm

Tried turning off the thums cache. But it doesnot fix the problem I have.
Number3

Postby olli » Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:48 pm

Congratulations, great features in 4.1! :D

However, I've seen the same problem with Advanced Renaming when viewing thumbnails. In general, there seems to be something wrong in the viewer code; I experience many hangups when browsing between different directories.

/Oliver
olli

Return to cam2pc