Performance of filesystem operations

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Postby a60-fan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:07 am

Hi community,

I am using cam2pc for several days and I can say that it substitutes at least two other applications (ZoomBrowser from Canon for downloading files and compupix as viewer and browser).

There is only one thing I must say: the performance of any filesystem operation like copying or moving files or renaming them is very poor. Has anybody an idea where this comes from and if I can do something to improve it.

Thanks in advance and
kind regards
a60-fan

Postby nabocorp » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:31 am

Hello,

cam2pc only relies on system calls to copy/move/rename files so there is not much we can do to improve it. Are you talking about the refresh of the cam2pc window that takes some time?

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby a60-fan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 8:01 pm

Hello nabocorp,

what I mean is the time between starting an operation and its end. For example I am copying six pictures, each one nearly 0.5 MB and it takes about 15 seconds to copy them.

When I copy exactly the same pictures to the same location (after deleting them first of course) it takes 1 or 2 seconds - may be the thumbnails are then coming out of the cache???

When I rename those six pictures it lasts about 35 seconds!!!

Are you able to reproduce this behaviour?

Kind regards
a60-fan
a60-fan

Slow File system

Postby Ixusv3Fan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:30 pm

Hello,
it's the same on my PC. It takes about 30 seconds to rename 20 Files. If I do that with any other batch-rename software, it takes less than a second.
Even if I do the renaming in another software and cam2pc Image Browser is running in the background, as soon as cam2pc gets the focus, the refresh of the thumbnails is very very slow. :cry:
I'm using Windows XP with NTFS Filesystem. Could that be the reason?

:D Apart from that, cam2pc is one of the best software I've ever seen. Congratulations to the author!

Best regards
ixusv3Fan
Ixusv3Fan

File system operations

Postby Ixusv3Fan » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:39 pm

Hey,
it's me again.
I found a solution for the slow renaming. :idea:

Switch off "Cache thumbnails" in the "Browser" section of "Tools/Options".

Renaming is as fast as a flash! And probably also the other file operations.

Best regards
Ixusv3Fan
Ixusv3Fan

Postby a60-fan » Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:31 pm

Hey Ixusv3Fan,

great, you found the solution. Now it is possible to work with filesystem operations without getting nervous.

Thanks and kind regards
a60-fan
a60-fan

Postby nabocorp » Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:39 am

Hello,

I have made some performance improvements in the thumbnail database that will be included in the next version. You'll be able to see if you can activate the caching of thumbnails back!

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby k5wls » Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:27 pm

An additional possibility to improve the performance of filesystem operations:

It looks like the folders pane (in default layout) is being refreshed for each file that is being renamed, while the thumbnail pane is only updated once, after all files are renamed. It's not noticable on two or three files, but it's easy to see when renaming 20 to 30 files.

I have the bulk of my pictures on network drives (SMB shares, 100 Mhz ethernet), and one of the servers has OPLOCKS disabled (resulting in slower performance in some areas). I first noticed the folders pane issue when I renamed about a hundred files on that server. The thumbnails pane updated fairly quickly (I had thumbnail caching turned off), but the folders pane was alternating blank for a several seconds and then the folders list for about a half second. I tried it again with just a few files and the number of folder pane cycles equaled the number of files being renamed. (Why would the folders list need to be updated after a file rename?)
k5wls

Folder Refresh

Postby Len B » Fri Sep 24, 2004 4:02 pm

I`ve just downloaded and registered Cam2PC and I`m generally very impressed.

I have a different problem to those above but still related to folders.

I`ve configured Cam2PC so I only see pictures in the view (right-hand side) as I thought it could get a bit cluttered with folders Icon after creating many `dated` picture folders. I therefore would like to use the Folders Display (left-hand side) to navigate.

When I open Cam2PC I get the display below - this is ideal as it allows me to choose a 'dated' picture folder and view my pictures.

However, if I either `add a picture` or press `Refresh` the folder pane refreshes and I am then unable to expand the `My Pictures` folder to see my `dated` folders as there is no +/- (expand/collapse) against the `My Pictures` Icon.

Is this how it's meant to work? If so how would I then be able to select my picture folders?

Len
Len B

Return to cam2pc