No Automatic Download with 4.0.1

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

No Automatic Download with 4.0.1

Postby NACarter » Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:14 am

I have downloaded the free version of 4.0.1 but cam2pc will no longer automatically start when I turn my camera (Fujifilm Finepix A303) on, whether the tray icon is running or not. It worked fine with version 3.1.2. I am running Windows XP Home SP1a, and I chose the two recommended settings in the setup.

Could this be a bug in cam2pc (as it worked fine with 3.1.2) or do I have to change a setting in either cam2pc or Windows?

Thanks for any advice.

Nick
NACarter

Postby nabocorp » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:13 am

Hello,

on Windows XP you have two choices for cam2pc to start automatically when you plug your camera. These two choices are in the first page of the options of cam2pc:

- "Register cam2pc as an event handler" : in this case cam2pc tray icon does not need to run on your system. When you plug your camera Windows XP shows a window with a list of applications. cam2pc should be listed in. Just double-click on it and the downloader should start. There is also a "Always do the same action" box that you can check.

- "Monitor camera or card reader" : this is the old 3.1 way. cam2pc tray icon has to be started. In this case it is recommended to disable the Windows XP notification (by selecting "No Action" and clicking the "Always do the same action" box).

Please tell me if it works now.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby NACarter » Tue Oct 21, 2003 8:16 am

Thanks, I'll have a look.

Nick
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Tue Oct 21, 2003 9:50 pm

I've now checked it. Cam2pc works if I use the old "monitor camera or card reader" option, but doesn't if I use the register option. I remember seeing somewhere how to reset what the event handler tries to run on a connection, but can't find it now. Do you think this could be the problem area?

Nick
NACarter

Download - Reset Handlers

Postby olli » Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:41 pm

hello,

i have a similar problem with a digital ixus ii. in fact. the window asking me, which program to launch does not pop up, but the canon tool starts immediately. does anyone how to reset these handlers, i.e. how to make the selection come up again?

thanks,

oliver
olli

Postby nabocorp » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:40 pm

For Canon cameras you have to go to Scanners and Cameras in the Control Panel. Make sure your camera is connected and switched on so it is listed. Display the properties and then events somethig like this.

For non-Canon cameras you can try using Tweak UI in the Powertoys downloadable from Microsoft site.

Keep me informed.
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby NACarter » Fri Dec 19, 2003 10:30 am

Sorry it's been so long since I've been here, but I tried TweakUI to try to reset the automatic handling when the USB camera appears. I set it back to "ask the user" but when I turn the camera on (it's a FujiFilm A303 by the way) nothing happens. I've gone back to version 3, which works fine (provided I keep the tray icon active).

Nick
NACarter

Postby NACarter » Thu Feb 12, 2004 10:10 am

A solution to this common problem is here: http://www.nabocorp.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=266

Nick
NACarter

Return to cam2pc