Autodetect almost killed my scanner

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

Autodetect almost killed my scanner

Postby DiscoStu » Fri Jul 11, 2003 1:29 pm

I just had some "nice" experiences with cam2pc's camera autodetection. After it did not find my Canon A60, it went on with autodetection and somehow developed interest in my Canon CanoScan N670U scanner. It started to move the optical unit as in a normal scanning process - with one "little" difference: It didn't care for the physical end of the scanner. It just went on and on trying to move the unit. Luckily I was quick enough to pull the USB plug before it got seriously damaged. The gears inside were making very unhealthy noises. :evil:

You might wanna check that or at least put a warning about scanner incompatibility somewhere... :(
DiscoStu

Postby nabocorp » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:21 pm

Wow... You were running the Configuration Wizard? Do you remember if it still was looking for a Canon camera or did start looking for Sierra Imaging based camera?

Sorry for this!
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby DiscoStu » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:01 pm

Yeah, this happened in the Configuration Wizard which is launched at first startup.
I am 99% sure that it was looking for Sierra Imaging camera. This happened approx. 2 or 3 minutes after I started the autodetect. If I remember correctly, it switched from searching for a Canon to Sierra Imaging after a few seconds, so yep... Sierra it was...
DiscoStu

Postby DiscoStu » Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:06 pm

One addition: This happened with the version of the main download page (1.3.2, right?). I discovered the note about new Canon models in this forum afterwards. When I tried 1.3.3, I unplugged my scanner before autodetection and it worked..

This should explain why it didn't detect the A60 in the first place, but that scanner thing... Maybe there's a way to make the autodetect less "aggressive" so that it won't affect other USB devices in such ways.
DiscoStu

Return to cam2pc