EXIF orientation tag not updated after rotation

the software that eases your everyday life with your digital pictures

EXIF orientation tag not updated after rotation

Postby rgiraud » Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:34 pm

First of all: cudos for the great program.

I found that the EXIF orientation tag does not get changed after I have rotated an image in cam2pc (I use a Canon Powershot G3), although the EXIF image width and image height fields do get changed. This may lead to problems in other programs (such as the Photoshop file browser, which automatically displays images according to their EXIF orientation tag, i.e. images that were previously rotated left in cam2pc to make them upright are rotated left again resulting in an image that lies on its left side). What is the best way to update EXIF orientation tags so that they correspond to the actual orientation of the picture?
rgiraud

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jul 08, 2003 11:07 am

Hello,

if your camera does fill the orientation tag then prefer using the "auto-rotate" feature of cam2pc: the program will directly rotate the picture properly and correctly update the orientation tag.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

Postby rgiraud » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:34 pm

My camera (Canon Powershot G3) does indeed fill the orientation tag, and when I use the "auto-rotate" feature, the pictures are correctly rotated and the image width and image height fields are updated in the EXIF data. However, the orientation tag is NOT updated. That is exactly the problem I was trying to point out in my original message.
rgiraud

Postby nabocorp » Tue Jul 08, 2003 3:18 pm

Okay then this is a bug. The tag should have been properly updated. I'll fix this in the next release.

Regards,
nabocorp
nabocorp
Site Admin

orientation tag update and Canon G3 plugin detection

Postby aleph » Sun Aug 24, 2003 11:01 pm

Just bought my first digital camera, a Canon G3, and tried various tools for viewing and downloading pictures until I found cam2pc. It's really the best, congratulations!
I also had the problem mentioned by rgiraud, that the orientation tag is not updated on rotation. Will this allready be fixed in final 3.1.3? Just installed 3.1.3 and it seems that it is not fixed there.
And a second question about 3.1.3: cam2pc is not in the list of applications that pops up on plugin-event. I read in the forum that this should work now!?

Regards,
aleph
aleph

Return to cam2pc